The Student Room Group

gcse results

can I still apply for a subject for A-levels with a lower grade in GCSE than the requirement?

i got a grade 7-7 in combined higher science and grade 5 in maths. i want to go to a college which says the minimum gcse grade for applying for physics a level is maths grade 6. can i still enrol for the subject ?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by viiii
can I still apply for a subject for A-levels with a lower grade in GCSE than the requirement?

i got a grade 7-7 in combined higher science and grade 5 in maths. i want to go to a college which says the minimum gcse grade for applying for physics a level is maths grade 6. can i still enrol for the subject ?

I think because gcse results were a bit lower this year due to the return to pre-pandemic grade boundaries, colleges may be a bit more lenient with entry requirements. So applying can’t hurt as I’m sure many people will be in the same position.
Original post by viiii

I would apply due to strict grade boundaries this year so a lot of colleges and sixth forms will be more easy on the entry requirements. However, Physics A-Level is very hard and you need really good maths skills. Consider what you got in your mocks and your predicted grade, that will also be a good indicator if you can take on physics at A-Level. But if you try hard enough, of course, you can get a really good grade in A-level Physics. Also keep in mind, if you decide to want to pursue this subject at uni, then most unis won't accept you if you don't take A-level Maths along with physics. Find out uni grade boundaries for what you want to do at uni and continue doing research before finalising.

Quick Reply

Latest