The Student Room Group

is it possible to still get a Law Training contract if i scrape a 2:1? (60-62%)

I just got a 58% in my second year and I will have to work extremely hard next year if I want to scrape a 2:1 is it even worth it if I want to progress into a law career? will employers be put off by my bad second year grades?
If you get a 2/1 it will be fine even for bigger firms.
Reply 2
It will be more difficult for bigger regional/national firms. You could still get a TC though.
Original post by mermaid019754
I just got a 58% in my second year and I will have to work extremely hard next year if I want to scrape a 2:1 is it even worth it if I want to progress into a law career? will employers be put off by my bad second year grades?

Hi,

The majority of employers will not be put off your second year marks I do not think and secondly the minimum requirement for most of the magic circle law firms is a 2:1 - as long as your overall grade is a 2:1 at the end of your degree than that is all that matters. Good luck :smile:.
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi,

The majority of employers will not be put off your second year marks I do not think and secondly the minimum requirement for most of the magic circle law firms is a 2:1 - as long as your overall grade is a 2:1 at the end of your degree than that is all that matters. Good luck :smile:.

Not quite. Firms, and in particular the MC, will be moderately alarmed by that 2:2 in second year. You’ll likely be asked to explain those grades if you ever reach the interview stage. The minimum requirement is a minimum’ for a reason. The vast majority of successful candidates will have a 1st / high 2:1.

All hope is definitely not lost though. If you smash your third year you can still end up with a decent 2:1 - although this depends on your grade weighting in each year (depends on the uni). Go all in, get a 1st in your final year and that’ll put you in a decent spot.

It’s worth mentioning that scraping a 2:1 is not great either for a MC-level firm. If you’re aiming for the top firms, you really need to be at a mid-2:1 or above if you don’t want to be at a disadvantage. Again, not impossible to get through but you’ll be up against candidates with better academics.
Reply 5
Hey!

I agree with the posts above that a 2.1 is the minimum for some firms and if you don't have it, then it might be the case that some of them will reject your applications automatically. However, there are also firms which look at your application holistically by analysing your career journey rather than just your grades. Some firms don't even have grades requirement anymore and they just want to know what you are capable of and why you are interested in working for them. To stand out from the rest it is really important to emphasise this and prove how your experiences could help you work at that firm.

I know that the Commercial Law Academy has some great courses on writing successful applications and they are also offering a free webinar on Thursday 19th of October on how to link your experiences to what a law firm asks of you. Hope it helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending