The Student Room Group

16-18 Education

Hi, I'm looking for a career either in finance/graphic design. I get straight 8s in math (y10) but I'm unsure if I'm going to do well in math a level as everyone says its extremely difficult but its highly respected by universities and would be a good as a facilitating subject for me to do. So I was thinking of instead doing a finance/financial maths btec, do you think Russel universities would accept that if I wanted to do a degree in finance?
Original post by practicable-bull
Hi, I'm looking for a career either in finance/graphic design. I get straight 8s in math (y10) but I'm unsure if I'm going to do well in math a level as everyone says its extremely difficult but its highly respected by universities and would be a good as a facilitating subject for me to do. So I was thinking of instead doing a finance/financial maths btec, do you think Russel universities would accept that if I wanted to do a degree in finance?

Getting 8s in GCSE maths is plenty good enough to do Maths Alevel, especially if you enjoy the subject.
Reply 2
I don't think russel group universities will look at you differently for having done btecs but since youre only in yr 10 maybe wait a little longer to finalise your decision for alevel maths.

I will say despite some people getting high grades at gcse it is easy to fall behind if you dont keep on top of your work as alevels is really about managing your time well and understanding content and being able to apply knowledge - so gcses grades aren't always the best indicator alone. but an 8 is a good grade and thats often the grade requirement for the subject.

With people saying its 'extremely difficult' people say this about SO many subjects, when i was picking my subjects i was atleast told by one person 'that subject is really hard' for every single alevel - alevels are meant to be difficult since alevel literally means 'advanced level' so i would recommend looking at subjects you are most interested in rather than ones you'll find easier

if you are still considering alevel maths its best to just practice exam questions to be able to do well and making sure you understand things as you go along :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest