The Student Room Group

I wish i knew my home language

Everyone keeps saying it’s not too late to start, but I just wish my parents taught me when I was young. I never was able to talk to my aunts, grandparents or any extended family, and unfortunately a lot of them have passed away now :frown: .

I wish that when i was younger I would have been able to make friends with other kids the same ethnicity as me, because now I feel so left out when I see people who were able to. Obviously its not that i only want friends the same ethnicity, but I just want that kind of bond where we both speak the same language and have the same background and similar experiences growing up.
Everyone who is the same ethnicity as me seems to know each other, and absolutely none of them know me. It sounds so stupid but i feel so left out, even though i don’t know them. They all post videos on instagram, where they all comment in my home language or speak in it in the video, and I just don’t understand any of it. I don’t blame my parents or anything, I just feel like I know no one that has this same problem because they were all brought up to learn the language :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Everyone keeps saying it’s not too late to start, but I just wish my parents taught me when I was young. I never was able to talk to my aunts, grandparents or any extended family, and unfortunately a lot of them have passed away now :frown: .

I wish that when i was younger I would have been able to make friends with other kids the same ethnicity as me, because now I feel so left out when I see people who were able to. Obviously its not that i only want friends the same ethnicity, but I just want that kind of bond where we both speak the same language and have the same background and similar experiences growing up.
Everyone who is the same ethnicity as me seems to know each other, and absolutely none of them know me. It sounds so stupid but i feel so left out, even though i don’t know them. They all post videos on instagram, where they all comment in my home language or speak in it in the video, and I just don’t understand any of it. I don’t blame my parents or anything, I just feel like I know no one that has this same problem because they were all brought up to learn the language :frown:

I took 5 years to learn a bit of my parents language and i started when i was 11, its not bad to start now , watch in the future you will see some improvements
omg i wish i saw this sooner.. as filipino i relate. my parents migrated from the philippines to england and raised me here for better quality of life i assume, but they never taught me the language and i really wish they did. growing up being the only asian kid in primary school i just turned whitewashed since there was no point embracing my differences if theres no one to embrace it with.
i would have absorbed the language like a sponge if they taught it to me as a kid lol, but yknow like... now i'm gonna have to put time into learning tagalog alongside my education and clubs. I wish they taught it to me, i mean my ethnicity is a big part of me... yet i know barely anything about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending