The Student Room Group

One in three of England’s university starters ‘may live at home’ this yea

"One in three students starting university this year may opt to live at home, according to new research that found rising costs and family needs are affecting the “Covid generation” of school-leavers.
Before the pandemic about 20% of first year undergraduates in England lived at home while studying, including older mature students. But a new survey of current sixth formers by University College London found that as many as 34% of 18-year-old school-leavers could stay at home if accepted by their first-choice university when exam results are published next week."
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/aug/10/one-in-three-of-englands-university-starters-may-live-at-home-this-year

"Rachel Hewitt, chief executive of MillionPlus group of universities, said: “With financial pressure hitting the most disadvantaged in society hardest it is no surprise that so many new students are planning to live at home while they study."
Thoughts?
Original post by Muttley79
"One in three students starting university this year may opt to live at home, according to new research that found rising costs and family needs are affecting the “Covid generation” of school-leavers.
Before the pandemic about 20% of first year undergraduates in England lived at home while studying, including older mature students. But a new survey of current sixth formers by University College London found that as many as 34% of 18-year-old school-leavers could stay at home if accepted by their first-choice university when exam results are published next week."
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/aug/10/one-in-three-of-englands-university-starters-may-live-at-home-this-year

"Rachel Hewitt, chief executive of MillionPlus group of universities, said: “With financial pressure hitting the most disadvantaged in society hardest it is no surprise that so many new students are planning to live at home while they study."
Thoughts?

Hi @Muttley79

I lived at home during my time at the University of Kent, from 2nd year onwards. I found living at university great in first year to make friends, however you can make friends many other ways - I was able to make more friends in later years both on my course and through joining societies. I think living at home is a really good way to save money as living at university can be so expensive, but some people may prefer to live on campus to more fully immerse themselves in the university experience/use other funding opportunities to help fund their accomodation.

Natalie :smile:
- University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 2
Original post by University of Kent
Hi @Muttley79

I lived at home during my time at the University of Kent, from 2nd year onwards. I found living at university great in first year to make friends, however you can make friends many other ways - I was able to make more friends in later years both on my course and through joining societies. I think living at home is a really good way to save money as living at university can be so expensive, but some people may prefer to live on campus to more fully immerse themselves in the university experience/use other funding opportunities to help fund their accomodation.

Natalie :smile:

I think the concern is that students from lower-earning families may choose this option for convenience rather than the course being the right one. This will then impact future careers and hence widen the social divide.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Muttley79
I think the concern is that studenst from lower-earning families may choose this option for convenience rather than the course being the right one. This will then impact future careers and hence widen the social divide.

Hey,

Yeah, I agree. To clarify further, I actually transferred to Kent from a different university at the start of second year in order to live at home and this was almost 5 years ago, I can imagine this is a much larger issue now. However, I do not think this is always a negative thing in regards to career prospects, whilst I'm lucky that Kent and my course did generally provide great career prospects, I think most employers are more interested in you having a degree/relevant experience rather than where it is from. Also, as I mentioned, I think living at home still provides a fulfilling university experience and ways to make friends too. :smile:

Natalie
Reply 4
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

Yeah, I agree. To clarify further, I actually transferred to Kent from a different university at the start of second year in order to live at home and this was almost 5 years ago, I can imagine this is a much larger issue now. However, I do not think this is always a negative thing in regards to career prospects, whilst I'm lucky that Kent and my course did generally provide great career prospects, I think most employers are more interested in you having a degree/relevant experience rather than where it is from. Also, as I mentioned, I think living at home still provides a fulfilling university experience and ways to make friends too. :smile:

Natalie

Not everyone lives near a uni like Kent though. I am not criticising your choice but it was informed - I think the worry here is that it will be for convenience and to save money.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
This is a bit of a worry in terms of social mobility and proximity to average/poor institutions. To my knowledge at the moment, not too many places are that keen on doing anything practical about it. I'd be interested to see the stats of how many WP and 1st gen locals apply and get offers for our place this year. If this is right then I'd expect a large upturn.

My experience has been that many institutions talk a good game re disadvantaged backgrounds, but they are almost never prepared to put their money where their mouth is. Indeed, it is a fight I have with my own institution each year.
It think one of the main reasons could be some unis don’t have enough space after either selling off properties t private companies or upping numbers of students it’s an issue Glasgow is offering accommodation but with bunk beds and roommates Bristol is offering accommodation in a different near by town I think if my uni had offer those things I would have commuted or looked at the private sector which is actually a good option places like Mercury Point Isn’t a bad option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending