The Student Room Group

Am I classed as independent or dependent?

Hello,

I’m 21 and due to start my first year of University as a mature student in September 2024, I’m just currently a bit worried about finances.

I currently work part time, and I pay my phone bill myself. I don’t earn a whole lot, maybe £18k a year, most of this money goes towards shopping, transport and my pet. I live with my parents currently and don’t contribute towards household bills as it’s not affordable. I currently have no savings also.

I’ll be moving out of my current city and leaving this job behind to start my degree in September.

My question is, as I will be applying for SFE without any assistance from any education provider. Will I be classed as independent or dependent?
Original post by Droooo
Hello,

I’m 21 and due to start my first year of University as a mature student in September 2024, I’m just currently a bit worried about finances.

I currently work part time, and I pay my phone bill myself. I don’t earn a whole lot, maybe £18k a year, most of this money goes towards shopping, transport and my pet. I live with my parents currently and don’t contribute towards household bills as it’s not affordable. I currently have no savings also.

I’ll be moving out of my current city and leaving this job behind to start my degree in September.

My question is, as I will be applying for SFE without any assistance from any education provider. Will I be classed as independent or dependent?

Hi there,

If you're under 25 you would be classed as dependant even if you aren't financially dependant on your parent(s) or live with them.

If you have 3 years of self support prior to the 1st of September 2024, you may be eligible to apply as an independent student. You can send evidence to support the three years such as P60's or final wage slips for even tax year - and if this shows self support at a sufficient level you'd be assessed as independent for the duration of your course.

If, this doesn't apply to you then we'd need your parent(s) to support your application by providing their financial details. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending