The Student Room Group

Poor graduate scheme experience.

I made an account here as I wasn’t sure where else to turn! I’m just hoping for some general advice I suppose as this is still all new to me.

I graduated in 2019 with a 2:1 (69% 😑) BSc Meteorology degree. I was very fortunate to get a job on what looked like a fantastic graduate scheme at a well respected renewable energy consultancy. On paper they promised expert mentors, on the job learning, site visits, opportunities to develop alongside world leading experts, etc etc etc. I was very impressed when I went for the interview and the company culture looked great.

Unfortunately, I’ve now been there a year and it was nothing like what was promised. I joined with a number of other graduates who were seconded our to different departments. Whilst there is some aspects of the job I enjoy, there is no structure to my learning or development, no mentoring (more like “could I borrow you when you have a spare 5 minutes”) and overall the so called scheme is non existent. We are all sort of like office newbies who just get given the basic admin tasks when people don’t know what to do with us. We as the graduates had to push to give feedback and we had to organise our own experience sharing sessions amongst each other as they hadn’t even considered it. There is no overall person in charge of the scheme it seems, the department head who pushed for it has since left the company. The management aren’t particularly approachable in any of our experiences and of course, no one wants to be seen as a trouble maker incase they decide against hiring us at the end, I mean yea the job isn’t great but it pays.

I’m not sure what to do really.. I don’t like what I do. The virus has made the situation worse I am basically invisible at home and despite asking every day for new jobs or things to do they can’t find anything. Training is completely off the table.

I have 8 months left on the scheme which I will stomach out while I look for something else. I’m worried that I have barely picked up any skills I could talk about to other future employers and obviously badmouthing the ex isn’t a good strategy. Unless something severe changes I will not consider working for the company beyond the end of my scheme.

I am genuinely thinking about applying for another graduate scheme such as the civil service fast stream, but will my previous employment here and the fact I am no longer a fresh faced graduate count against me or even make me ineligible? Can I apply for other schemes before completing my current one?

Sorry if that was a bit long but my main questions are the last paragraph. Thanks for reading.
Reply 1
Wont be a problem for civil service fast stream - perhaps use your spare time and energy to prep for the tests? I think you are absolutely right to plan to complete a couple of years and look for something else. Your position isn't rare.
Reply 2
Original post by ajj2000
Wont be a problem for civil service fast stream - perhaps use your spare time and energy to prep for the tests? I think you are absolutely right to plan to complete a couple of years and look for something else. Your position isn't rare.

Yea that’s a great idea. I have made my mind up now and have a few ideas in mind so as you rightly recommend I’ll use the remaining time to prepare for future applications. Thanks!
Reply 3
Quite a few graduate jobs that I've seen state that 1-2 years experience is acceptable. I guess you have to look closely at the job descriptions - if there is no issue, then apply away. But be wary because I am guessing that they may ask questions about why you are leaving your current role and you may need to respond in a polite way, which at least for me, wouldn't be so easy if I felt the same way about the company :biggrin:.

It might be worth finishing the grad scheme and seeing what the senior roles are like? Maybe the work at the senior level in the company would be more interesting for you?

Good luck!
(edited 3 years ago)
Sound rubbish. I believe a lot of companies are struggling to adapt to WFH policies - and I suspect it's the ones who had issues with staff morale and motivation to begin with. Suspect this includes a lot of bigger companies where oversight isn't well-managed. There's a reason why those managers are unapproachable and it doesn't sound like your fault.

Good luck with your plans to re-apply elsewhere.
Reply 5
Yea I’m definitely going to stick it out in the hope that things may change. I understand it’s tricky for the business during these times and the graduates are the least of their concern, the trouble is they have been unresponsive and disorganised from the get go, long before the pandemic.

I think a lot of the problems stem from the fact most of the employees have worked at the company for 8+ years and they have taken on only one junior new starter per year in the last 5 years previous. There’s a big disconnect in terms of experience and the knowledge gap between us and our colleagues.

Clearly they were looking for new blood (and needed it) but didn’t plan any clear pathways for us. It’s a real disappointment in many ways as this time a year ago I had really thought I struck gold!
Original post by Tephigram
Yea I’m definitely going to stick it out in the hope that things may change. I understand it’s tricky for the business during these times and the graduates are the least of their concern, the trouble is they have been unresponsive and disorganised from the get go, long before the pandemic.

I think a lot of the problems stem from the fact most of the employees have worked at the company for 8+ years and they have taken on only one junior new starter per year in the last 5 years previous. There’s a big disconnect in terms of experience and the knowledge gap between us and our colleagues.

Clearly they were looking for new blood (and needed it) but didn’t plan any clear pathways for us. It’s a real disappointment in many ways as this time a year ago I had really thought I struck gold!

I think that's just the environment. The more people have been in one company, the less inclined they are to guide newbies because they just clock out and don't have as much ambition. Most young people who've started in my organisation have tended to move on quite quickly. I don't blame them (I'm looking to get out myself).
Reply 7
Hi, I am in the same situation. Would really like to know what you ended up doing and how it's working out? Thanks
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest