The Student Room Group

Switching courses in 1st year university to Medicine

I graduated in 2023 with 3 A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics, and originally intended to go into medicine, but soon concluded I had no talent after receiving my predicted grades BCC, and then my actual grades BBB.

As a result, I went for my backup degree: English Education, since I get a higher salary for being a teacher than being an optometrist(my UCAS safe choice) in my home country. Plus, I enjoyed teaching my younger cousin the subject, so it seemed like a pretty good option at the time.

After nearly a year, I realise that while the degree is satisfying and I do get to help people, I keep going home and thinking: is this all there is? And I find myself thinking about applying for medicine again.

It's already March now, and past the UCAS applications. Should I still bother going into medicine? What are my options?
(edited 1 month ago)
You can't switch to medicine without applying through UCAS except in a small number of internal transfer schemes that are almost always only for biomedical sciences first year students (they're also even more competitive than applying via UCAS).

You would have been better served retaking your A-levels during a gap year and applying then rather than starting another degree. Currently you have that as an option, or complete your current degree and apply to graduate entry medicine.

A few medical schools discourage applicants currently on a degree from applying while on the degree (unless in the last year and due to graduate) though so, that may be something to look at. Also you'll still need to meet the A-level requirements etc, so would still realistically need to take a gap year and retake...
Original post by artful_lounger
You can't switch to medicine without applying through UCAS except in a small number of internal transfer schemes that are almost always only for biomedical sciences first year students (they're also even more competitive than applying via UCAS).

You would have been better served retaking your A-levels during a gap year and applying then rather than starting another degree. Currently you have that as an option, or complete your current degree and apply to graduate entry medicine.

A few medical schools discourage applicants currently on a degree from applying while on the degree (unless in the last year and due to graduate) though so, that may be something to look at. Also you'll still need to meet the A-level requirements etc, so would still realistically need to take a gap year and retake...
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Would I have more luck applying right now than graduate entry though? Considering how I have a humanities degree, I don't think the chances are very high...
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by sweetpotatobun
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Would you say I have more luck applying right now than graduate entry though? Considering how I have a humanities degree, I don't think the chances are very high...

About half of GEM courses don't require any specific degree (although they do usually require the GAMSAT). That said GEM is much more competitive than standard entry medicine.

This is really a decision you need to make for yourself. You're already in the course so you could leave and take some time out to meet the requirements to apply to standard entry med, but this takes time, you have used up your "gift year" of SFE entitlement and if you don't get in or change your mind again you need to start from 1st year elsewhere even in the same degree in most circumstances. You could also complete the current degree and apply for GEM courses but it's much more competitive and you'll probably need to do the GAMSAT which I gather is quite involved.

Either route is an option and I'm not sure either is necessarily better than the other in this case, generally. The best option would have been to take a gap year and resit before starting another degree, but now that you've started the degree, it doesn't necessarily follow that dropping out to do that is the best option now.

It's really something you need to think about for yourself!
Heyy, you should check Brunel University London, I think that because UCAS extra opened they still have spaces and also they don’t really require the UCAT! So phone UCAS and ask if you can still apply. All the best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending