The Student Room Group

Finished my Level 3 IT Support Technician apprenticeship, what are best options?

Hi,

As the title says, I have just passed my Level 3 with a distinction but I'm not sure what to do next really. My current employer is keeping me on with a pay rise, but it's a lot less than what I'd like to be making eventually. There are progression opportunities within the company, but I'm not sure they're right for me or if I even want to stay with my current employer for long. I wouldn't mind going for a Level 4 and I've been looking at a Software Developer course but not sure if my Level 3 (+GCSE's) makes me eligible for one of those. Although, looking at my training provider's website for a Level 4 Software Developer course, a prior Level 3 one isn't listed as a requirement. I could potentially do a Level 3 Junior Software Developer course and THEN move to the Level 4, but if I do that it'd feel like the past 15 months have been a waste of time. I could do a Level 4 Network Technician course but I'm not too keen on that particular one.

What I'm basically trying to find out is -with this Level 3 now under my belt- what are the best options for me to progress further in a way that would allow me to eventually be making ~40-50k a year, and is within IT where I don't have too many customers to deal with on the daily. E.g a software developer/engineer job role

Any advice is appreciated
Reply 1
I'm relatively certain that a Level 3 IT Support Apprenticeship would be considered enough to get you into the level 4: there aren't generally any specific requirements other than a level 3 qualification (e.g. A-levels or your apprenticeship). It's generally up to the company though, so I'd recommend emailing any that you might be interested in (e.g. Vodafone, Virgin, etc.). You could even consider a Level 6 degree apprenticeship in computing, if you were interested in that. It's good to think of a Level 3 as the same as A-levels and such - you can still go through most of the same routes, such as an apprenticeship or uni.

How much experience do you have with Software Engineering and such at the moment? If you're a passionate coder, it could be worth considering making a portfolio and looking at Junior Developer roles rather than an apprenticeship. If you're more interested in exploring it as a career, an apprenticeship would be a good choice too, as you'd get a lot more support while working on it and getting that experience.

In my opinion, this is one of those things were there are so many variables to consider, but in short you should definitely be able to continue with the pathway you want (without doing another Level 3 qualification). There are also lots of ways to do that, as I've mentioned. I hope this helps in at least a small way? Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by {Moss}
I'm relatively certain that a Level 3 IT Support Apprenticeship would be considered enough to get you into the level 4: there aren't generally any specific requirements other than a level 3 qualification (e.g. A-levels or your apprenticeship). It's generally up to the company though, so I'd recommend emailing any that you might be interested in (e.g. Vodafone, Virgin, etc.). You could even consider a Level 6 degree apprenticeship in computing, if you were interested in that. It's good to think of a Level 3 as the same as A-levels and such - you can still go through most of the same routes, such as an apprenticeship or uni.

How much experience do you have with Software Engineering and such at the moment? If you're a passionate coder, it could be worth considering making a portfolio and looking at Junior Developer roles rather than an apprenticeship. If you're more interested in exploring it as a career, an apprenticeship would be a good choice too, as you'd get a lot more support while working on it and getting that experience.

In my opinion, this is one of those things were there are so many variables to consider, but in short you should definitely be able to continue with the pathway you want (without doing another Level 3 qualification). There are also lots of ways to do that, as I've mentioned. I hope this helps in at least a small way? Best of luck!

Thank you, your reply has reassured me quite a bit. I'll call my previous training provider to double check with them. I don't have too much experience with software engineering, I only did some Python back in high school but that was a while ago now. I would probably go the apprenticeship route as I don't really have the knowledge currently nor the experience.
Hi @diamonnnd I was wondering if you can tell me the experience of this IT Technical Support Apprenticeship Please. What did you learn and what was involved this is a type of job that I really wish to pursue and was wondering if you knew the best websites to search for these type of Apprenticeships please :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mohammed_80
Hi @diamonnnd I was wondering if you can tell me the experience of this IT Technical Support Apprenticeship Please. What did you learn and what was involved this is a type of job that I really wish to pursue and was wondering if you knew the best websites to search for these type of Apprenticeships please :smile:

Hey @Mohammed_80 , thought I'd chip in and hopefully the OP can also give their personal experiences :smile:. You can generally find an outline of the skills all apprenticeships give you on the government website: for example, go to 'Skills' on this page for the Digital/IT Support Apprenticeship and it gives an overview of what you'll learn and possible future career options. If you're interested in the IT field, there are several IT apprenticeships for Levels 3/4/5, such as Software Development, Data Analyst, IT Support, etc.

Due to the widespread nature of apprenticeships they crop up in different places. If you have a local college, they may offer apprenticeships. The best place to look (especially locally) would be the government website. You'll often find small businesses on here. Other good places to look are on training provider websites: the education side of most apprenticeships is done via training providers, such as QA, Baltic Apprenticeships, and Paragon. All of those offer technical ones which should interest you? Here's a link to the Rate My Apprenticeship website (which, incidentally, offers a lot of good resources to help with applications, picking an apprenticeship and such). That link shows the best training providers: it's also worth researching providers with Ofsted and that, as some can be a bit dodgy.

Lastly, it's worth checking individual companies websites for apprenticeships. Ones in IT/Support are quite common especially for Vodafone, BT and that that are all IT-based. Prospects is really useful for info too, and you can also sign up there to be notified of new apprenticeships. That link I just gave also shows common companies offering IT apprenticeships that you might want to take a look at.

Hope that helps! Best of luck wherever you go :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by diamonnnd
Thank you, your reply has reassured me quite a bit. I'll call my previous training provider to double check with them. I don't have too much experience with software engineering, I only did some Python back in high school but that was a while ago now. I would probably go the apprenticeship route as I don't really have the knowledge currently nor the experience.

That's great, glad to be of assistance. An apprenticeship would definitely be a nice option to consider then, most employers offer bootcamps at the start to teach you general coding, and then you can learn on the job: so it's no worries if you have little coding experience. Hope all goes well!
Original post by {Moss}
Hey @Mohammed_80 , thought I'd chip in and hopefully the OP can also give their personal experiences :smile:. You can generally find an outline of the skills all apprenticeships give you on the government website: for example, go to 'Skills' on this page for the Digital/IT Support Apprenticeship and it gives an overview of what you'll learn and possible future career options. If you're interested in the IT field, there are several IT apprenticeships for Levels 3/4/5, such as Software Development, Data Analyst, IT Support, etc.

Due to the widespread nature of apprenticeships they crop up in different places. If you have a local college, they may offer apprenticeships. The best place to look (especially locally) would be the government website. You'll often find small businesses on here. Other good places to look are on training provider websites: the education side of most apprenticeships is done via training providers, such as QA, Baltic Apprenticeships, and Paragon. All of those offer technical ones which should interest you? Here's a link to the Rate My Apprenticeship website (which, incidentally, offers a lot of good resources to help with applications, picking an apprenticeship and such). That link shows the best training providers: it's also worth researching providers with Ofsted and that, as some can be a bit dodgy.

Lastly, it's worth checking individual companies websites for apprenticeships. Ones in IT/Support are quite common especially for Vodafone, BT and that that are all IT-based. Prospects is really useful for info too, and you can also sign up there to be notified of new apprenticeships. That link I just gave also shows common companies offering IT apprenticeships that you might want to take a look at.

Hope that helps! Best of luck wherever you go :biggrin:

Wow thank you so much that’s brilliant piece of tip and advice and thank you very much for providing the links if I need some help may I ask you please :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Mohammed_80
Wow thank you so much that’s brilliant piece of tip and advice and thank you very much for providing the links if I need some help may I ask you please :smile:

No problem! That's fine, feel free to tag me or just private message if you want :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending