The Student Room Group
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth

Sharing a room

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by HonestStudent
Politely but firmly remind them of the Equality Act 2010 and their responsibilities. That said, if I left there years ago and found their disability support terrible, and they haven't improved in all that time, and they're still ripping off students by putting them in shared rooms, are you sure you want to go there? Do you have any offers for anywhere else? Sure, Penryn is a lovely place, but if you're not going to get the support you need, ask yourself if it's worth it. Sometimes there's private accommodation but it tends to go fast in Penryn.

I have to balance these comments with my own experience, which tells me that the accessibility team at Falmouth and Exeter (Penryn) are amazingly supportive BUT its really important that either you or your PA engages fully with them and ensures they are fully aware of any disabilities you may have. They really have been 100% supportive and in fact have gone above and beyond. In addition FXPlus have also been massively supportive with accommodation, dates I can accept offer, ensuring I have a room type to suit me (again a lot of this high level of support stems from the university accessibility team). So I would say contact the team asap, make sure they know everything, and ensure they know how it is on your most difficult days, also phone FXPlus I have always found them very supportive. Also if you have one, make use of your PA.
Drawing Tresco, Falmouth University
Falmouth University
Falmouth
Original post by SWWJOHN
I have to balance these comments with my own experience, which tells me that the accessibility team at Falmouth and Exeter (Penryn) are amazingly supportive BUT its really important that either you or your PA engages fully with them and ensures they are fully aware of any disabilities you may have. They really have been 100% supportive and in fact have gone above and beyond. In addition FXPlus have also been massively supportive with accommodation, dates I can accept offer, ensuring I have a room type to suit me (again a lot of this high level of support stems from the university accessibility team). So I would say contact the team asap, make sure they know everything, and ensure they know how it is on your most difficult days, also phone FXPlus I have always found them very supportive. Also if you have one, make use of your PA.

FXPlus was generally fine, the problem was staff never implementing anything and FXPlus management seeming to have no power to make them. And they control the Estates department, who went in my room without my permission or even notice.

For anyone confused, Falmouth and Exeter Universities share the same campus in Penryn (but you can only access Exeter Uni buildings as an Exeter Uni student and vice versa), so some of the services are join - FXPlus is a service for both universities.

Oh and I got seriously injured and they avoided putting it in the accident book, so they could cover it up.

But yeah, maybe try FXPlus.

Anyway to Falmouth Uni: Screw you, got a master's now.
Reply 22
Original post by HonestStudent
FXPlus was generally fine, the problem was staff never implementing anything and FXPlus management seeming to have no power to make them. And they control the Estates department, who went in my room without my permission or even notice.

For anyone confused, Falmouth and Exeter Universities share the same campus in Penryn (but you can only access Exeter Uni buildings as an Exeter Uni student and vice versa), so some of the services are join - FXPlus is a service for both universities.

Oh and I got seriously injured and they avoided putting it in the accident book, so they could cover it up.

But yeah, maybe try FXPlus.

Anyway to Falmouth Uni: Screw you, got a master's now.

Again my experience is very different to the one you are talking about. FXPlus have AIWAYS respected both my privacy, never entering rooms in the way you describe and on more than one occasion making decisions about supporting me in a very decisive way. It sounds like you spent your whole time in Falmouth in conflict with the university and FXPlus which certainly is a shame but I can only speak as I have found and say they have always been supportive and respectful of my disability. Your last words are unfortunate because they will make a lot of people feel less supportive of your statements/claims about what you experienced.Anyway on a positive note you now have your masters and can move on with your life👍
Original post by SWWJOHN
Again my experience is very different to the one you are talking about. FXPlus have AIWAYS respected both my privacy, never entering rooms in the way you describe and on more than one occasion making decisions about supporting me in a very decisive way. It sounds like you spent your whole time in Falmouth in conflict with the university and FXPlus which certainly is a shame but I can only speak as I have found and say they have always been supportive and respectful of my disability. Your last words are unfortunate because they will make a lot of people feel less supportive of your statements/claims about what you experienced.Anyway on a positive note you now have your masters and can move on with your life👍

No, a lot of my experience at Falmouth Uni was fun. And the art students and drama students were really supportive. And it was fun exploring - before the injury - and visiting the beach. And the chaplaincy was great regardless of whether someone was a Christian or not. So I didn't spend my whole time in Falmouth in conflict with the university and FXPlus. However, just as one bad experience doesn't discount good experiences, your one good experience doesn't discount bad experiences. I'm glad you were the exception to the rule and that they supported you. But as you can see from the uni's attitude towards someone who needs a private room, their behaviour towards me, and the fact that, despite charging high fees for both the university - the cost was more than the postgraduate loan - and the accommodation, they have never improved it by putting in so much as moveable walls, and the fact they covered up a serious injury to a disabled student, clearly they are not as good as your single experience suggests. As for claims; hospital letters, e-mails that I've saved, etc. Happy to share them. But anyway, as you say, I have a master's now.

Quick Reply

Latest