The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Difficulty getting start date for placement

I have been allocated a placement in a different trust and already I feel very unwelcome. I’m a mental health nurse apprentice on the step on to full degree from NA. I’ve been allocated a placement in a different trust which is a good distance from where I live. I have emailed requesting my start shifts explain my timetable and hrs I’ve been allocated for placement. She then allocated me full time shifts including two nights when I am timetabled to only be in 15hrs, as per apprenticeship which the facilitator had ADVICED her. She then emailed me back saying well when can u work. I emailed again with the options for the first week of my uni days and my work base trying to explain my chaotic timetable. She then has not emailed since. I went for an orientation at the hospital and my facilitator took me to the ward to look around and introduce me to her. He did and she looked me up and down, made a face at him as if to say I am a pain and then when he asked if we could plan my start day then she said ‘no if she had sent me the days she can work then there wouldn’t need to be this emailing back and forth’ and she walked off. I have emailed again to clarify my start day asking, stating the days I would like for the first two weeks explaining after this my timetable changes again therefor will match my shifts with my PA from then. She still has not replied. I’m due to start placement in two weeks and I’m already feeling very unwelcome and uncomfortable. I have a lot going on in my personal life with my father being sick and I’m not sure if I’m being over sensitive or if I have reason to feel this uncomfortable already. I’m also not sure if I should just turn up on the days I have stated or if I should wait on an email. I have never had this issue with any other placements but she has made me feel very unwelcome. Any advice or reassurance would be helpful.
Hi @Sazmarie1607,

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling excited about your placement. I'd recommend talking to your course tutor or personal tutor. Just because you're on placement doesn't mean that they aren't there to support you.

Good luck!
Abbie
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending