The Student Room Group

Help: I'm having doubts about my course

I haven't started my uni course yet (It's in Mental Health Nursing) but I think I don't want to do that anymore, and I want to do an English Language degree instead now that I have realised I'm really good at the subject and enjoy it. I've already sent in my application and pretty much all I need to do now is get the grades and then I'm in university but what I'm wondering is can I change my course when I get there? I know some people change within their department but could I completely change? I already looked and both of the courses need the same amount of UCAS points and there are no specific a levels needed for either...
Reply 1
Original post by beansforkidneys
I haven't started my uni course yet (It's in Mental Health Nursing) but I think I don't want to do that anymore, and I want to do an English Language degree instead now that I have realised I'm really good at the subject and enjoy it. I've already sent in my application and pretty much all I need to do now is get the grades and then I'm in university but what I'm wondering is can I change my course when I get there? I know some people change within their department but could I completely change? I already looked and both of the courses need the same amount of UCAS points and there are no specific a levels needed for either...

I think you should try through clearing on results day!
This is a dramatic swap of subjects. Be clear on what you really want to study. You will be guaranteed a job in mental health nursing, less likely with an English degree.
If you are absolutely certain that you want to swap, ask the uni (general admissions team) now. They are more likely to be amenable to a change now than later. Don't enrol on a course hoping you'll be able to change.
Original post by mike23mike
This is a dramatic swap of subjects. Be clear on what you really want to study. You will be guaranteed a job in mental health nursing, less likely with an English degree.

I know it's dramatic, that's why I wanted to get some help before I started rather than going through half the course and then deciding to see whether I could swap. I figured it would be easier before rather than after
Original post by Admit-One
If you are absolutely certain that you want to swap, ask the uni (general admissions team) now. They are more likely to be amenable to a change now than later. Don't enrol on a course hoping you'll be able to change.

Thank you, this has been really helpful. I have emailed my university and hopefully, they'll reply with their answer soon.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi everyone! Just an update on the situation for anyone who may be going through a similar issue:
I emailed both universities and asked for the change. Because it was so far in advance, both immediately swapped me over to the new course!
Thank you to everyone who gave suggestions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending