The Student Room Group

How many years can I get student finance funding for?

Hello,

Earlier this year I applied to a university through UCAS, figured out student finance, got the grades, moved there, and found out pretty quick I could not continue there and had to come home. However, I left this university before the course actually started. The course was set to start on the 25th of September, and I had moved back home by the 21st and withdrawn from the Uni through the admissions team.

Following this I went through clearing and got into a local university and have been attending there for about a month or so now. However, due to the rushed nature in which I had to swap universities and move back home, I don't believe I chose the right course at all. I missed the deadline to swap courses already so will be stuck on this one til September 2024.

However, if I start a new course in September 2024 (either at the same university I'm attending now or another) will I still be eligible for 3-4 years student finance funding?

Im worried I won't get the funding I need because I will have used up one year by that point. I don't know if the first university I applied to also counts as a year as I left before any lectures officially begun.

I know if you have a serious personal reason for leaving a course (which I have mental health difficulties and learning disabilities) it can help with funding but I do not know if I would qualify. Also this funding only covers tuition I believe, what would happen with my maintenance loan? Could I still receive money to live if I was unable to study?

If anyone has any knowledge on this subject, or has been in a similar situation please let me know. I really want to switch to a course I'm passionate about next September and receive full funding!

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Daisy_frr
Hello,

Earlier this year I applied to a university through UCAS, figured out student finance, got the grades, moved there, and found out pretty quick I could not continue there and had to come home. However, I left this university before the course actually started. The course was set to start on the 25th of September, and I had moved back home by the 21st and withdrawn from the Uni through the admissions team.

Following this I went through clearing and got into a local university and have been attending there for about a month or so now. However, due to the rushed nature in which I had to swap universities and move back home, I don't believe I chose the right course at all. I missed the deadline to swap courses already so will be stuck on this one til September 2024.

However, if I start a new course in September 2024 (either at the same university I'm attending now or another) will I still be eligible for 3-4 years student finance funding?

Im worried I won't get the funding I need because I will have used up one year by that point. I don't know if the first university I applied to also counts as a year as I left before any lectures officially begun.

I know if you have a serious personal reason for leaving a course (which I have mental health difficulties and learning disabilities) it can help with funding but I do not know if I would qualify. Also this funding only covers tuition I believe, what would happen with my maintenance loan? Could I still receive money to live if I was unable to study?

If anyone has any knowledge on this subject, or has been in a similar situation please let me know. I really want to switch to a course I'm passionate about next September and receive full funding!

Thanks in advance :smile:

The formula for calculating student finance is:

Length of new course + 1 (gift) year - years of previous study.

So if next year you start a 3-year course, the calculation is 3+1-1 = 3 (or 4+1-1=4 for a 4-yr course).

Your first uni won't count as another year, as your funding was swapped to your current uni. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending