The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Block Teaching at De Montfort University

Hey everyone,:smile:

I'm a second-year Cyber Security student here at DMU and I've been studying under the block teaching format, also known as Education 2030. You might have heard of it - it's a new course structure which focuses on teaching one subject at a time. This approach has offered me a unique learning experience and I've found it beneficial in numerous ways, which I'll elaborate on in this post.

Universities across the globe use different teaching modes, each with its own set of advantages. Some of you might be familiar with the traditional teaching structure where multiple subjects are taught concurrently throughout the semester. While this method has its merits, it can sometimes be overwhelming to juggle multiple subjects and assessments at once. That's why we at DMU have started to implement block teaching.:cool::cool::cool:

In the block teaching format, we study one subject intensively for a block of several weeks, complete the assessment for that subject, and then move on to the next one. One of the main benefits I've experienced is the ability to focus on one subject at a time. This has not only improved my understanding of each topic but also reduced the stress of handling multiple subjects simultaneously.:h:

Moreover, block teaching has fostered a sense of community within our cohort. Since we're studying the same subject together for a block of weeks, we've been able to build stronger connections with each other and with our professors.

I wanted to open up a discussion on this topic to hear about your experiences and thoughts. Whether you're a fellow block teaching student or studying under a different format, your views are valuable. What do you think about block teaching? Do you find it more effective compared to the traditional teaching structure? Have you faced any challenges?:confused:

Please feel free to share your thoughts, experiences, or any questions you might have about block teaching. Looking forward to an engaging discussion!

You can learn more about block teaching here:
https://www.dmu.ac.uk/empowering-university/block-teaching/index.aspx

Take care,
Ilya:banana:
Interesting thread. My son is coming to the DMU open day on Saturday for cybersecurity and AI (he is still undecided which branch of computing he prefers). How did you find first year? Are any of your cohort there via T-Level rather than A-Level and if so, how are they finding it (I have a slight doubt that the T-Level syllabus may not prepare kids adequately for a computing degree). Also, do you get your results after each block has been assessed or do they wait until the end of block 4 before giving you all 4 results?
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by Costajambo
Interesting thread. My son is coming to the DMU open day on Saturday for cybersecurity and AI (he is still undecided which branch of computing he prefers). How did you find first year? Are any of your cohort there via T-Level rather than A-Level and if so, how are they finding it (I have a slight doubt that the T-Level syllabus may not prepare kids adequately for a computing degree). Also, do you get your results after each block has been assessed or do they wait until the end of block 4 before giving you all 4 results?

Hi there!

I was supporting academics with Cyber Security subject talks during the previous Open Day, so I must have seen your son on the event :smile:

Our course is being taught from zero. It means that we cover all the possible basics that we may need for studying. Even if a person has never ever done anything computer related - they would feel very comfortable on the course. We have a lot of people from non-computing background.

You get results and feedback every 3 weeks, which is actually another huge advantage of block teaching! We now communicate with our teachers much more often due to it.

If you have any questions, I am happy to assist you :smile:

Thanks,
Ilya
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending