The Student Room Group

Re-Taking A Levels 2024

Hi, I am starting a thread to discuss the process of retaking a levels. How do I go about getting predicted grades for UCAS if I am teaching myself content at home (do I need to get a special tutor?) How much does it cost to retake an A level? Please share advice/ experience!
Reply 1
I'm in Year 13 and also quite confused around the process of retaking A Levels.
My college sent us an email on the last day of the exams telling us that if we decide to take a gap year/ resit then we have to speak to our form tutor on results day and let them know so that they can provide a reference and predicted grades.
I don't know which grades they will use since I am aiming for A*'s if I do decide to resit.
I got this from a TSR article on resitting A Levels:
"You'll work through year 13 again and take your exams at the end of it. "It's usually free to retake your exams the year after you get your results," says the government's National Careers Service, but you may need to pay if you go to an independent or private school or college."
So you'll have to ask your sixthform/ college.
It's up to you if you want a tutor but I think you will have to pay for it yourself. I personally don't think I will need a tutor and want to revise myself.
I hope this helped!!
Hi I was wondering how predicted grades will be set? I didn’t do so well since my mom passed away but previously I had A* A* B as my predictions
Reply 3
Original post by luishka08
Hi, I am starting a thread to discuss the process of retaking a levels. How do I go about getting predicted grades for UCAS if I am teaching myself content at home (do I need to get a special tutor?) How much does it cost to retake an A level? Please share advice/ experience!

I was in the same position as you last year, I took the route you plan to, for my UCAS application I was able to link my application to my school, so they were able to provide my reference(they just used my old one) for my predicted grades they let me choose, so I gave my self A*AA, for cost, I retook all three, my old school let me take it there, so it cost less, at around £400 for all three combined, I didn't get a tutor, however, I recommend you do just to be safe.

The advice I would give is to start revising early, I started revising in February which was way too late, causing there to be unnecessary stress, if you're worried about funding the tutor and exams, I recommend getting an agency job as you will be able to choose when you want to work giving you more flexibility. Also when applying to unis, make sure that they do not care that you resat, the universities I applied to were KCL, UCL, Southhampton, royal holloway, and Manchester, be careful though, as KCL and UCL only don't care if you resat for certain courses, so always double check. Also, I think it would be a good idea to mention your resits in your personal statement, such as a paragraph like, "despite underperforming in my a levels , I took this as an opportunity to.... work experience or insight days or etc during this gap year" so unis don't feel like you've just wasted a year.

My Experience,
2022 Results - BCD - Place at Aston University
2023 Results - AAB - Place at Kings College London, also got offers at Southhampton and royal holloway.

Also just remember it's better to risk another year for a better opportunity, than to go somewhere you don't like for 3 years just to wonder if you could've done better, its only one year.
Original post by QwertyAqw
I was in the same position as you last year, I took the route you plan to, for my UCAS application I was able to link my application to my school, so they were able to provide my reference(they just used my old one) for my predicted grades they let me choose, so I gave my self A*AA, for cost, I retook all three, my old school let me take it there, so it cost less, at around £400 for all three combined, I didn't get a tutor, however, I recommend you do just to be safe.

The advice I would give is to start revising early, I started revising in February which was way too late, causing there to be unnecessary stress, if you're worried about funding the tutor and exams, I recommend getting an agency job as you will be able to choose when you want to work giving you more flexibility. Also when applying to unis, make sure that they do not care that you resat, the universities I applied to were KCL, UCL, Southhampton, royal holloway, and Manchester, be careful though, as KCL and UCL only don't care if you resat for certain courses, so always double check. Also, I think it would be a good idea to mention your resits in your personal statement, such as a paragraph like, "despite underperforming in my a levels , I took this as an opportunity to.... work experience or insight days or etc during this gap year" so unis don't feel like you've just wasted a year.

My Experience,
2023 Results - AAB - Place at Kings College London, also got offers at Southhampton and royal holloway.

Also just remember it's better to risk another year for a better opportunity, than to go somewhere you don't like for 3 years just to wonder if you could've done better, its only one year.

Congratulations on your results!! I was wondering how you were able to pick your own predicted grades? My initial ones were A* A* B but i got C C U (my mom passed away mid year 13) so i don’t know if my school will give me the same predictions
Reply 5
Can I use my History coursework, improve it and resubmit it?
Reply 6
Original post by nicolebunny274
Congratulations on your results!! I was wondering how you were able to pick your own predicted grades? My initial ones were A* A* B but i got C C U (my mom passed away mid year 13) so i don’t know if my school will give me the same predictions

hi im kinda in a similar scenario... my skl is refusing to help n cant find any test centres. im worried what my skl would predict me anyways and i didnt do well. did u end up finding smth
Reply 7
Original post by Jamjar67
Can I use my History coursework, improve it and resubmit it?

I heard that when resitting A-Level History you are allowed to use the exact same piece of coursework. However, I talked with my History teacher who told me that the coursework can be on the same topic but the question must be changed. I'm awaiting clarification.
Reply 8
resiting here
Reply 9

My Experience,

thanks for this just want to ask do you live in london? i feel it may be more £££ to resit here. thanks!
Reply 10

My Experience,

what course did you apply to?
Reply 11
Original post by treematrie
thanks for this just want to ask do you live in london? i feel it may be more £££ to resit here. thanks!

Yeah, i live in London, it cost me around 400.
Reply 12
Original post by tsrin
what course did you apply to?

Maths
My Experience,

Hi, this has explained a lot, however how were you able to choose your predicted grades? Did the teachers just ask what you wanted or did you give yourself those predicted grades on UCAS. Also what a levels did you take and which course did you apply for if you don't mind.

Quick Reply

Latest