The Student Room Group

Job Advice

Good morning all,

I'd like some advice on a career move, but I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post it.
Original post by JLH81
Good morning all,

I'd like some advice on a career move, but I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post it.

Depends on the specific advice you're looking for. For general career moves, I think you might be better off with Career sector and graduate employment.

What is the specific question?
Reply 2
Hello!

So, I am hoping that maybe I can get some help and guidance with a career move in my early 40's. I have a very unique background, all of which revolves in education in some type of capacity. I have worked as a substitute teacher, paraprofessional, police officer (municipal and university), and I am currently the lead security officer at a high school extension that works with over 20 school districts.

I have a BA degree in Criminal Justice, and I am currently pursuing a Master's Degree in Higher Education, Leadership, & Administration. It is my hope to transition into the student services/affairs field at the high school or college level. I have been actively applying to all types of positions in the student services/affairs field, but I have been having absolutely NO luck. I have interested for several positions, all of which would have been great. With the positions that I did interview for, I made it to the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but ultimately another candidate was chosen. I have tried to get feedback from HR and interview committee members and the information that I was able to get is always "it was a competitive process, but a candidate with more experience that better aligns with the job position was chosen." It is beyond frustrating!

Today, I had a job interview for a registrar position at a very affluent high school district. I think it went really well, and the interview committee seemed very enthusiastic and interested in me. However, I've been in this situation before which ended not well. So, I don't want to get my hopes up. Of course, I did send post-interview thank you emails (all personalized to each individual member of the committee.)

I am just looking to get into the field. I am not looking for top dollar. I am more than willing to start at the bottom, prove myself, and work my way up.

I ended up receiving responses from 3 of the interview committee members. However, I am not really sure how to decipher these emails. I am hoping that maybe you can all shed some light/thoughts on them.

Interviewer 1: Thanks so much for being a part of our interview process!

Interviewer 2: Thank you! It was wonderful to meet you today!

Interviewer 3: Hello, Thank you so much for your email! It was a pleasure meeting you and learning more about your passion for education and supporting students! I wish you all the best in this interview process. Have a wonderful rest of your week!
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by JLH81
Hello!

So, I am hoping that maybe I can get some help and guidance with a career move in my early 40's. I have a very unique background, all of which revolves in education in some type of capacity. I have worked as a substitute teacher, paraprofessional, police officer (municipal and university), and I am currently the lead security officer at a high school extension that works with over 20 school districts.

I have a BA degree in Criminal Justice, and I am currently pursuing a Master's Degree in Higher Education, Leadership, & Administration. It is my hope to transition into the student services/affairs field at the high school or college level. I have been actively applying to all types of positions in the student services/affairs field, but I have been having absolutely NO luck. I have interested for several positions, all of which would have been great. With the positions that I did interview for, I made it to the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but ultimately another candidate was chosen. I have tried to get feedback from HR and interview committee members and the information that I was able to get is always "it was a competitive process, but a candidate with more experience that better aligns with the job position was chosen." It is beyond frustrating!

Today, I had a job interview for a registrar position at a very affluent high school district. I think it went really well, and the interview committee seemed very enthusiastic and interested in me. However, I've been in this situation before which ended not well. So, I don't want to get my hopes up. Of course, I did send post-interview thank you emails (all personalized to each individual member of the committee.)

I am just looking to get into the field. I am not looking for top dollar. I am more than willing to start at the bottom, prove myself, and work my way up.

I ended up receiving responses from 3 of the interview committee members. However, I am not really sure how to decipher these emails. I am hoping that maybe you can all shed some light/thoughts on them.

Interviewer 3: Hello, Thank you so much for your email! It was a pleasure meeting you and learning more about your passion for education and supporting students! I wish you all the best in this interview process. Have a wonderful rest of your week!

@bamtutor & @04MR17, would you be able to advise or do you know of anyone who would be able to help with the above?
Original post by JLH81
Hello!

Hiya,

First question: are you in the US?
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17
Hiya,

First question: are you in the US?

Hello!

Yes, U.S. - state of Illinois
Original post by JLH81
Hello!

Yes, U.S. - state of Illinois

The etiquette and rules of applying for jobs vary from business culture to business culture. This is very largely a UK-centric forum for students, I guess the bulk of people are 15-25 on here.

In the UK, it's not the done thing to write thank-you emails afterwards, especially as an adult - it's viewed as trying to interfere with the selection process. While I entirely understand the culture may be very different in the US, it makes it hard to give any genuinely informed interpretation of those responses. All I would say is that it would be very unprofessional (by UK standards) to say anything at all leading to a candidate that sent a thank you note.

It sounds as though you are doing all the right things in making a career change, but the situation is that there are people with more experience in the applicant pool. In that case, you need to think of ways you can reduce the competition (legally!), looking at more obscure places these jobs can be advertised, so fewer people know about them, increasing your network of people looking for you, taking an 'adjacent' similar role that can act as a few years of stepping stone into the ideal role.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending