The Student Room Group

Getting a part time job.

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on getting a part time job at 17 because I have been looking since last September and must have applied to at least 40, I have only had one interview which sadly I didn't get the job. I have used suggested websites like Indeed and Reed, they haven't really helped me. I went into my local Job Centre and they said that they couldn't help. I feel like I'm never going to get a job at this rate, I am sticking to it though. It just annoys me that all my friends in their towns can snap their fingers and suddenly they have a job, but I can't find a single place that wants to accept me.
Any advice is great, positive or not. I would just like to know if it sounds like I'm doing anything wrong.
Thanks.
Original post by Al3x17
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on getting a part time job at 17 because I have been looking since last September and must have applied to at least 40, I have only had one interview which sadly I didn't get the job. I have used suggested websites like Indeed and Reed, they haven't really helped me. I went into my local Job Centre and they said that they couldn't help. I feel like I'm never going to get a job at this rate, I am sticking to it though. It just annoys me that all my friends in their towns can snap their fingers and suddenly they have a job, but I can't find a single place that wants to accept me.
Any advice is great, positive or not. I would just like to know if it sounds like I'm doing anything wrong.
Thanks.

Hi!

I can't give much advice, but I can give consolation - I'm looking for a job as well and no, it isn't easy. :frown:
Reply 2
It’s more difficult for under 18s as companies worry about safeguarding. From what I see supermarkets employ under 18s and also local small business. Also see if you can find something though a friend who has a job or who has useful contacts. I got a job in a printing works run by the uncle of my best friend
Original post by Al3x17
Hello,
Thanks.

Some companies, such as tesco, sainsburys, mcdonalds etc have their jobs on the careers section of their websites. And you have to apply online. So thats worth looking into.
Its also worth looking in shop windows etc. I know my local peacocks has a sign in their window.
Original post by Al3x17
Hello,
Thanks.

Hello,

My advice would be that when you are filling in the online application form, try as best as possible to describe your skills and experiences in a way that aligns with the company's core values, and their work culture. In the case of customer service jobs, try and make sure that you can clearly demonstrate your passion for working with and helping people. This way you will come across as a candidate who will settle in very quickly within the role.

I hope this helps, and hopefully something will work out for you very soon. Best of luck!

Kind regards,
Juzer
Coventry University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending