The Student Room Group

resit or take masters at better uni?

missed my offer for meng engineering design with industry at bristol and got into beng product design engineering at loughborugh instead. the only ‘better’ uni for msc design engineering is imperial although it seems VERY expensive as well as competitive. advice?
Are you happy going to Loughborough? :smile: Engineering is a good thing to do pretty much anywhere and Loughborough tends to be quite strong for that sort of subject.
Reply 2
Just to clarify since you have a mix of undergrad and postgrad courses there, do you mean the MEng course at Imperial?
Reply 3
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Are you happy going to Loughborough? :smile: Engineering is a good thing to do pretty much anywhere and Loughborough tends to be quite strong for that sort of subject.

i do like the course but i visited and really dont like the area. i wouldnt be sad going there but im pretty bummed not getting into my dream uni.
Reply 4
Original post by Interea
Just to clarify since you have a mix of undergrad and postgrad courses there, do you mean the MEng course at Imperial?

no, i mean msc innovation design or msc design engineering which i can apply if i were to complete a beng at loughborough. the question is more beng + msc at lboro/imperial or resit and do meng at bristol (which i wanted to do initially)
Original post by catss
no, i mean msc innovation design or msc design engineering which i can apply if i were to complete a beng at loughborough. the question is more beng + msc at lboro/imperial or resit and do meng at bristol (which i wanted to do initially)

Ok maybe Leicestershire is a less appealing place to live than Bristol, but once you have your undergrad BEng then you will have many doors opened for you, including potentially Bristol for postgrad if there's a suitable course. Loughborough is a very decent course!

Unless Leicestershire is a deal-breaker then I'd be leaning towards taking up the Loughborough course, but I'd encourage you to try and move beyond thinking about Bristol for now as I say, it might be a postgrad option! and make a decision about whether you want to go the Loughborough.

How would you feel if you resat and still didn't get into Bristol? (Not trying to put a downer on it but it's important to think about all possible outcomes when thinking about resitting.)
Reply 6
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Ok maybe Leicestershire is a less appealing place to live than Bristol, but once you have your undergrad BEng then you will have many doors opened for you, including potentially Bristol for postgrad if there's a suitable course. Loughborough is a very decent course!

Unless Leicestershire is a deal-breaker then I'd be leaning towards taking up the Loughborough course, but I'd encourage you to try and move beyond thinking about Bristol for now as I say, it might be a postgrad option! and make a decision about whether you want to go the Loughborough.

How would you feel if you resat and still didn't get into Bristol? (Not trying to put a downer on it but it's important to think about all possible outcomes when thinking about resitting.)

unfortunately there is no msc for design engineering at bristol, only imperial (which again will cost an absurd amount so im not even sure i can do it) and other random unis which is why im a bit troubled. if i were to resit id reapply to loughborough anyway and end up going there.

by any chance do you know how difficult funding masters would be? i think thats the main issue with not going bristol as that course is pretty much everything packed in one
Original post by catss
unfortunately there is no msc for design engineering at bristol, only imperial (which again will cost an absurd amount so im not even sure i can do it) and other random unis which is why im a bit troubled. if i were to resit id reapply to loughborough anyway and end up going there.

by any chance do you know how difficult funding masters would be? i think thats the main issue with not going bristol as that course is pretty much everything packed in one

There is a postgraduate loan, but finding out what masters scholarships are available is quite a detailed job. A lot can happen between now and three years' time and I'd be very cautious of making decisions now that are based on what masters you might take.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending