The Student Room Group

A level/clearing advice needed

I got A in maths, A in geography and C in further maths.

As a result, I have been rejected from my firm and insurance so have got Queen Mary’s university of London through clearing.

But I don’t really want to go there. I was predicted 3 A*s so am really disappointed as I had my heart set on my firm which was LSE. I had some family problems in year 13 which was considered under the extenuating circumstances but I still didn’t get in because of the c.I don’t know what to do.
I’ve considered the following options and would like some opinions.
I want to do a job in banking and know good a levels are needed.

1. Retake further maths and reapply for next year
2. Go to Queen Mary’s, retake further maths in the first year and hope for the best
3. Go Queen Mary’s, retake further maths and go to a target unis like LSE for masters

Is there even a point in retaking further maths at this point??

If you were in my shoes what would you do.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by hellohello05
I got A in maths, A in geography and C in further maths.

As a result, I have been rejected from my firm and insurance so have got Queen Mary’s university of London through clearing.

But I don’t really want to go there. I was predicted 3 A*s so am really disappointed as I had my heart set on my firm which was LSE. I had some family problems in year 13 which was considered under the extenuating circumstances but I still didn’t get in because of the c.I don’t know what to do.
I’ve considered the following options and would like some opinions.
I want to do a job in banking and know good a levels are needed.

1. Retake further maths and reapply for next year
2. Go to Queen Mary’s, retake further maths in the first year and hope for the best
3. Go Queen Mary’s, retake further maths and go to a target unis like LSE for masters

Is there even a point in retaking further maths at this point??

If you were in my shoes what would you do.

Your options are basically to either to stay back and resit Further Maths for next year, or to move on and go to QM and focus on getting a good degree grade. If you go to uni you should not resit Further Maths - you'd be far better off focusing on your degree and applying for work experience in the banking sector. With a good degree result you could then consider LSE for a Masters.
Hi @hellohello05,

I’m sorry to hear you didn’t get the results you’d hope for! And, it’s absolutely valid to feel disappointed considering you had your heart set on LSE. It sounds like you have your options pretty much laid out there however, if it was me, I would see this discouragement as an unexpected opportunity. Going somewhere that wasn’t initially planned doesn’t always mean it’s going to be terrible! I’d say give QM a chance and go with the flow - start working towards the career you aspire for and get excited about these new beginnings that lay ahead! I’d also say re-taking further maths would be unnecessary at this point, especially if you decide to pursue this sort of path. Remember, your A-levels and results are not the be all and end all, it’s the experiences you have that will get you far. So, go for it! You should be proud you have gotten into university!

Wishing you all the best in whatever you choose to do,
Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending