The Student Room Group

Uni choices for Biomed

Hi there, what do you guys think about Surrey, Northumbria, Newcastle and Manchester Met for Biomedical Science?

I have a firm unconditional offer from Surrey and the rest I had applied through clearing, so I am rather confused on which one to choose! :smile:

Any thoughts and info would be much appreciated! thanks
Congratulations! :dancing:

I would recommend thinking about what about your university experience will be the most important to you and then go from there, plus you're going to be living there for a few years so consider a city where you will be most happy and comfortable. They are all really great options! Which one are you leaning toward most? :h:
Alongside the above, consider what you're planning to do after. If you plan to work in the NHS or a hospital, your degree will need accreditation from IBMS. If you're planning to go into research or industry, you don't.
Original post by orangelemons919
Hi there, what do you guys think about Surrey, Northumbria, Newcastle and Manchester Met for Biomedical Science?

I have a firm unconditional offer from Surrey and the rest I had applied through clearing, so I am rather confused on which one to choose! :smile:

Hey @orangelemons919 :smile:

Congrats on the offers!! I hope you're feeling super proud of yourself, as you should be. Are you doing anything nice this weekend to celebrate? :smile:

Have you had a look for any virtual tours on their websites so you can take a look at the campus and facilities? You could also check out their student blogs, profiles and course videos (you should find them on the uni's websites and social media channels) to get an insight of the course and what it's like to be a student there. Maybe see if any of the students are on unibuddy so you can speak to them directly and ask any questions you have about the course and the uni.

Have a look at the modules of each course, the location of the uni and what the student life will look like, the student support the uni's offer, any alumni success stories so you can get an insight of where the course has taken that uni's recent graduates.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you! Get ready to embark on a fab new chapter in your life, wishing you all the best with your studies :smile:
#BeResultsProud

Becky
Thank you all very much! Definitely looking into a course that is IBMS Accredited. Looking to become a consultant clinical scientist or any role as such in the medical field.
Original post by orangelemons919

Hey! @orangelemons919

Massive Congrats on your fab choice of offers! You should be super proud.

Surrey's defo a great place for Biomedical Science so it has my personal recommendation. I understand IBMS accreditation is important for you and this is something that Surrey offers with its course, being part of the surprisingly small number of universities that do offer it! This accreditation will allow you to go forward with your dream of becoming a consultant-level clinical scientist (exciting!)

You can discover our brand new bespoke £multi-million labs here where you will be spending a fair amount of time in for this course. Guildford is also just a stone-throw of 25 minutes away from Central London giving you easy access to all work and placement opportunities there.

The university is renowned for developing highly sought-after Biomedical graduates and 94% of Bioscience students here end up in employment/further study! I think the most important thing is your experience, and for that, we are ranked Top 5 in the UK for overall student satisfaction with our Bioscience courses.

There's a myriad of placement opportunities here and you are encouraged to go for one! Popular destinations for us include GalaxoSmithKline (GSK) and AstraZeneca! Most jobs after university will be looking for graduates with not just good academic performance but also placement experience which stands out from the crowd. This is something that's in abundance here and I'm sure you'd love it here just as much as I do.

I went through Clearing myself last year and I'm happy I went with this choice. There's an ample amount of support with my work here and I feel like I'm thriving in being my best self :smile:

Whatever you may choose, I wish you all the luck for your plans and I hope that Surrey can be a great fit for you. If you have any other questions - do ask! Happy to answer.

Hope this helps!
Jess G - First Year Biomed @ Uni of Surrey
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending