The Student Room Group

not happy with all A* results

i got 4x A*s in my a levels, and ik i should be so happy and proud of myself but i just don't really feel anything over them. if anything i'd have rather had lower grades (and still gotten into my uni choice with offer ABB) and instead spent more time enjoying college. idk it just all feels kind of underwhelming and i feel kind of flat and burnt out rather than proud of myself.... i did work hard, but honestly it just doesn't really feel worth it in the grand scheme of things because in 3 years when i have a degree, no one will care about my results.. is this something alot of high achievers feel or am i just really weird lmao
Yes once you get your degree the employers don’t care, and even when you start uni no one really talks about A level it’s straight to business with the uni work. You need to go all out to get a first at uni though. But well done and keep up the good work!
Reply 2
I understand where you're coming from, but you can't change the past, so best to take your excellent grades and instead reflect on your experience to plan how you want to balance your life at uni :smile:

(For what it's worth, it's still beneficial to have a solid set of A levels, just in case something happens before you get to that "I have a degree so nobody cares" stage. I got 4 A*s and felt it was a little pointless since I'd had an unconditional offer for my firm, but it was very useful when everything went wrong a few months later and I ended up needing to withdraw and reapply to a uni requiring 3 A*s! Obviously I hope nothing goes wrong like that for you, but it might help you to remember that you've given yourself a very good safety net through your hard work.)
(edited 8 months ago)
Cry me a river (yes - I find it hard to be sympathetic).

When you achieve things you can still use them, lots of companies filter using BOTH university & A-level scores for graduate jobs (as well as their own tests). If you apply for internships, particularly with name brand companies they want consistent high achievers (and will consider these results when creating a pool of people to interview).

General rule is positive things are probably of value for the next 3-5 years on your cv. I actually got asked by a consultancy in a final round interview about how I did in A-levels (at the time this was for a grad role at about £45k).

Quick Reply

Latest