The Student Room Group

Durham or Cambridge?

I received an offer to read English at Cambridge in the August reconsideration pool, meaning I now have two days to pick between it and my firm, Durham. Both courses and institutions excite me, and I felt at home during open days at both. However, I know Cambridge students are put under high levels of stress, and during my A-levels, I really struggled with my mental health. As much as I'd love to study at Cambridge, I'm worried the pressure would do more harm than good. Another factor is their location - I live just North of London, so travelling to-and-from Durham is long and expensive. I'm from a single-parent household, and my Mum has cancer, so being able to return for a weekend (as I could at Cambridge) is definitely something to consider.

I've written pro-and-cons lists for both, and really the main downfall of Cambridge would be the pressure and stress. Can any students, particularly those who struggle with depression and anxiety, give me any advice? How bad is it really? A lot to ask over the internet and with little context, I know, but any guidance would be much appreciated. Again, two days to decide! Losing my mind haha.
Family should come first I guess. My family was ridden with cancer.
Original post by daisyjay_
I received an offer to read English at Cambridge in the August reconsideration pool, meaning I now have two days to pick between it and my firm, Durham. Both courses and institutions excite me, and I felt at home during open days at both. However, I know Cambridge students are put under high levels of stress, and during my A-levels, I really struggled with my mental health. As much as I'd love to study at Cambridge, I'm worried the pressure would do more harm than good. Another factor is their location - I live just North of London, so travelling to-and-from Durham is long and expensive. I'm from a single-parent household, and my Mum has cancer, so being able to return for a weekend (as I could at Cambridge) is definitely something to consider.

I've written pro-and-cons lists for both, and really the main downfall of Cambridge would be the pressure and stress. Can any students, particularly those who struggle with depression and anxiety, give me any advice? How bad is it really? A lot to ask over the internet and with little context, I know, but any guidance would be much appreciated. Again, two days to decide! Losing my mind haha.

There might be pressure and stress at Cambridge, but what about the pressure and stress of being away from your family for longer terms at Durham?
Reply 3

Daisy what grades did you get?
Reply 4
Daisy you will be entitled to a massive bursary at Cambridge and travelling home will be so easy.Son was always popping home from Cambridge at weekends something he never did when he was at York.More difficult as UGrad but in an emergency yes.
Re work load son said after A levels the work load was actually less at Oxford.He had no time for a social life at school but was always out and about doing all sorts at Oxford.The terms are short only 8 weeks so you could spend more time with mum anyway and everyone goes home for holidays so you would not be missing out on anything.The close supervision means tutors can keep an eye on you and make sure you are okay with the work.You have done really well in your A levels so I feel sure you could cope and the tutors really want to help you succeed..
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney
Daisy you will be entitled to a massive bursary at Cambridge and travelling home will be so easy.Son was always popping home from Cambridge at weekends something he never did when he was at York.More difficult as UGrad but in an emergency yes.
Re work load son said after A levels the work load was actually less at Oxford.He had no time for a social life at school but was always out and about doing all sorts at Oxford.The terms are short only 8 weeks so you could spend more time with mum anyway and everyone goes home for holidays so you would not be missing out on anything.The close supervision means tutors can keep an eye on you and make sure you are okay with the work.You have done really well in your A levels so I feel sure you could cope and the tutors really want to help you succeed..

That's all very true - I think it's the short notice that is throwing me off! Thank you for your advice, I'll take it into account. To answer your last question, I got A*AA, A* in English Lit with As in History and Politics.
Reply 6
That's all very true - I think it's the short notice that is throwing me off! Thank you for your advice, I'll take it into account. To answer your last question, I got A*AA, A* in English Lit with As in History and Politics.

The reason I asked was my son took 4 Alevels and 5 at AS and he said compared to Alevels the work load was way less as you only have your favourite subject to do.Anyways good luck choosing.

Water flows downhill...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending