The Student Room Group

Oxford Biomedical Sciences - Could I get in?

Hi everyone, I was wondering if people could tell me whether I’m likely to get in to Oxford for Biomedical Sciences for 2024 entry

School: Private boarding school outside London producing 80% A*

GCSEs: 70% A* (Three 9/A* Five 8/A* Two 7/A One 6/B)

Predicated A-level grades: A*AA

Entry requirements: A*AA

BMAT: Not yet taken

Any responses would be greatly appreciated:smile:
Original post by 17277282kiosk
Hi everyone, I was wondering if people could tell me whether I’m likely to get in to Oxford for Biomedical Sciences for 2024 entry

School: Private boarding school outside London producing 80% A*

GCSEs: 70% A* (Three 9/A* Five 8/A* Two 7/A One 6/B)

Predicated A-level grades: A*AA

Entry requirements: A*AA

BMAT: Not yet taken

Any responses would be greatly appreciated:smile:

The BMAT and interview are very significant in admissions, so it's difficult to give a real answer. I would suggest you try and raise the predicted grades, though, as Oxford expect a certain level of inflation, especially for a private school candidate. If you're predicted the exact entry requirements, you're much more likely in their eyes to fail your conditional offer.
Reply 2
Original post by emilyalexandria
The BMAT and interview are very significant in admissions, so it's difficult to give a real answer. I would suggest you try and raise the predicted grades, though, as Oxford expect a certain level of inflation, especially for a private school candidate. If you're predicted the exact entry requirements, you're much more likely in their eyes to fail your conditional offer.

Thank you for you help but they won’t increase them :frown:

Also do you think my GCSES are good enough?
Thank you for you help but they won’t increase them :frown:

Also do you think my GCSES are good enough?

They usually calculate a contextualised GCSE score for use in shortlisting, by comparing how many 8s and 9s you got compared to your cohort at school. This benefits you, since 8s and 9s are usually weighted the same in this calculation. You should be fine, just focus on maximising your BMAT score.
Reply 4
They usually calculate a contextualised GCSE score for use in shortlisting, by comparing how many 8s and 9s you got compared to your cohort at school. This benefits you, since 8s and 9s are usually weighted the same in this calculation. You should be fine, just focus on maximising your BMAT score.

My school produces 80% A* and is a private school and I got 70% A* - will this hurt my application?
My school produces 80% A* and is a private school and I got 70% A* - will this hurt my application?

In shortlisting, possibly. Do well on the BMAT, and it won't matter either way.
Reply 6
In shortlisting, possibly. Do well on the BMAT, and it won't matter either way.

I see, thank you so much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending