The Student Room Group

Should I take gap year?

I’m 18 years old, turning 19 in December. I’m 6’6 and weigh 132 kg. I was in shape until last November but after that I had a surgery and I couldn’t exercise for months. Meanwhile, I got into QMUL comp sci for this September (undergrad).
I personally don’t feel like I should go this year. Instead I want to try and go to a better uni. I have 3 As in A levels. I also want to lose weight and don’t actually feel ‘ready for uni’. QMUL did agree to my deferral request for next year but I’m having second thoughts. My dad wants me to stay and focus on myself this year but he would also fears that I’ll ‘waste’ a year of my life. My mum wants me to go.
Even though I dont ‘feel ready’ I kinda wanna go cz if i stay everyone’s gonna taunt me for being ‘free’, ‘wasting a year’ etc
Hi there :smile:

Sorry, you seem to be in a tricky position. If you don't feel like you're ready this year, that's fine and there's absolutely no shame in taking a gap year. It won't be a "wasting a year", unless you sit around doing nothing all day, which by the looks of things, won't be the case for you since you have at least two things you want to get up to in your gap year, and you can do anything else you might wish to do. For example, during my gap year I applied to university, worked and then used the money I earnt to do some things I always wanted to do (bought myself a guitar, books, travelled a little...). A gap year is a blank canvas for you to do whatever you want, and as long as you do something, it won't have been a waste. :smile:

And regarding university applications... do you like Queen Mary? If you do, there's no reason to apply to university again, if anything it's a risk! Employers will not care about where you went to university, they'll care how well you did in your degree. So if you like Queen Mary and think you'll do well there, there's no reason to withdraw from it and it'll save you a lot of stress during your gap year.

I wish you good luck with whatever you end up deciding, and if you end up deciding on doing a gap year, do make sure to continue checking out the gap year forum for ideas and help, and pop in to say hi to other people on gap years here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7384867

Quick Reply

Latest