The Student Room Group

Student Finance

Hello,

I am hoping to start the EdD in October this year. I have e been informed that due to my Masters I can skip the first year and hoping in the second. It is a 4-8 year part time course. I spoke to student ginamce and they said that because I will miss the first year I will not be eligible to get a student loan. Is there any way around it other than doing the first year?

I have spoken to Keele but they referred me to SFE.

Thanks
Sam
Original post by SamJayBe
Hello,

I am hoping to start the EdD in October this year. I have e been informed that due to my Masters I can skip the first year and hoping in the second. It is a 4-8 year part time course. I spoke to student ginamce and they said that because I will miss the first year I will not be eligible to get a student loan. Is there any way around it other than doing the first year?

I have spoken to Keele but they referred me to SFE.

Thanks
Sam

Hi Sam. What is the full name of the course and qualification you are now looking to do? Would you be carrying credits over from your previous Masters? Thanks - David
Reply 2
Original post by David SLC
Hi Sam. What is the full name of the course and qualification you are now looking to do? Would you be carrying credits over from your previous Masters? Thanks - David

Hi David,

Thank you for responding.
Its the professional doctorate in education.
I was advised that because the first year of the course covers issues that are similar to that at masters level, and given that I have a masters and the research area coincides with my
Masters area ie I have competed a Masters in educational leadership and this is my research area, I could in effect skip the first year. It’s a four to eight year part time course which o am hoping to finish in 3 years given the ability to skip the first two modules.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks
Sam
Hi there,

You need to be attending from the beginning of the start of the Doctoral course, if you are bypassing any parts of the course due to previously completed study, you wouldn't be eligible for the Doctoral Loan unfortunately as you need to attend the full course.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Thanks for letting me know.
Sam 😊
You're welcome, have a lovely day. 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending