The Student Room Group

Long distance boyfriend starting uni

I have been with my boyfriend for over 2 years. We met online and we have met up every summer since. I live in the UK and he lives in the USA, so he came to England last summer for a month and a half and I went there this summer for over 2 months. He is the thing that makes me the most happy and he makes me motivated. But he's just started university and its a 6 year course. We had plans to get married because he is the love of my life and he had bought an engagement ring months ago. But to get married and me move out there we need a k-1 visa and he has to make $24k a year to support me and be my sponsor. And now that he's started university he doesn't have time to work, he doesn't even have much time to talk to me. And for some stupid reason I keep getting annoyed at him for not giving me enough attention (it's so childish I know - I'm trying to stop) but he had mentioned a few days after starting that he sees his new friends talking to girls who are right there and how he doesn't know what to do. And I am just so hurt because he keeps hinting at breaking up but he says he loves me too much to break up. He says he's stressed and when I get stressed at him he gets more stressed. So I don't know what to do. We are both 19 by the way. All I know is that I want to spend the rest of my life with him and I know he does too but he's struggling with the distance and I'm struggling with, well just everything in general. Does anyone have any advice or relatable experiences? Please help.
Reply 1
Video call each day.
Why can't he come to the UK and live with you here?
Reply 2
I mean he said before he went to university that if he had to he would because he loved me. Now I don't think that's the case. And I really like America so it would be ideal to move there and if he were to move to the UK I wouldn't be able to live with him for 6 years until he finishes uni and can move here.
Reply 3
Original post by Adz2042
Video call each day.
Why can't he come to the UK and live with you here?

And we used to call every single day. There hadn't been a day for over 2 years that we didn't call. But now he's always with "the boys" and he's become a complete immature child. And his parents really liked me because I kept him in place as he has pretty bad adhd. But he has changed so much just so he can impress his new friends and be "popular".
Original post by Amiss_111
And we used to call every single day. There hadn't been a day for over 2 years that we didn't call.

And what exactly did these calls consist of, because neither of you has appeared to have confronted the reality of a very LDR and all it entails? And yes, I'm in an LDR, have been for years because of career choices by my bf and I.

Just over 14 weeks together in just over 2 years isn't actually a lot of time together, especially if you were in holiday mode. OK, so there can be lots of nice words said about how you'll both cope with it all, but that's not happening. Plus he's bought an engagement ring and not used it, and now he's talking about breaking up.

Don't rely on your boyfriend for motivation and happiness; that has to come from you. If you want to change your lifestyle, explore other options. Have you spent more time in America than just a holiday to properly know the place and make it your life? What are you currently doing; have you looked at any other ways to move to the States, with a job?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
And what exactly did these calls consist of, because neither of you has appeared to have confronted the reality of a very LDR and all it entails? And yes, I'm in an LDR, have been for years because of career choices by my bf and I.

Just over 14 weeks together in just over 2 years isn't actually a lot of time together, especially if you were in holiday mode. OK, so there can be lots of nice words said about how you'll both cope with it all, but that's not happening. Plus he's bought an engagement ring and not used it, and now he's talking about breaking up.

Don't rely on your boyfriend for motivation and happiness; that has to come from you. If you want to change your lifestyle, explore other options. Have you spent more time in America than just a holiday to properly know the place and make it your life? What are you currently doing; have you looked at any other ways to move to the States, with a job?

He wanted to propose but he said I kept giving him mixed signals. I had only seen him in holiday mode but I was going to be going at Christmas to do some actual work related stuff. Right now I've just finished my gap year and I'm going to start my Bachelor of Laws at the Open University while working at the weekends and do all my extra curricular activities. I had been all around his city and I absolutely loved it. The plan was going to be that I would finish studying my Law degree there as it is all online and then find a job. Whenever we called we would always talk. We would talk about anything and everything. We would also watch films together and play games. I have looked into other ways of moving there but the k-1 was the most reliable. Him and I actually broke up last night. We both still love eachother so much, but he couldn't see it working with his 6 years of studying full time.
Reply 6
And we used to call every single day. There hadn't been a day for over 2 years that we didn't call. But now he's always with "the boys" and he's become a complete immature child. And his parents really liked me because I kept him in place as he has pretty bad adhd. But he has changed so much just so he can impress his new friends and be "popular".

time to ditch him now
He wanted to propose but he said I kept giving him mixed signals. I had only seen him in holiday mode but I was going to be going at Christmas to do some actual work related stuff. Right now I've just finished my gap year and I'm going to start my Bachelor of Laws at the Open University while working at the weekends and do all my extra curricular activities. I had been all around his city and I absolutely loved it. The plan was going to be that I would finish studying my Law degree there as it is all online and then find a job. Whenever we called we would always talk. We would talk about anything and everything. We would also watch films together and play games. I have looked into other ways of moving there but the k-1 was the most reliable. Him and I actually broke up last night. We both still love eachother so much, but he couldn't see it working with his 6 years of studying full time.

Very sorry for your situation, but couples who love each other don't break up. He was finding excuses why it was difficult, why he couldn't propose, then talking of breaking up; sounds like he lost his commitment to the relationship a while ago and was just waiting to tell you.

Take time to get over this, but learn to fly solo and live your life. Take care.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Very sorry for your situation, but couples who love each other don't break up. He was finding excuses why it was difficult, why he couldn't propose, then talking of breaking up; sounds like he lost his commitment to the relationship a while ago and was just waiting to tell you.

Take time to get over this, but learn to fly solo and live your life. Take care.

He's now saying he think he made a mistake. I think he us just so stressed and I was always nagging and getting annoyed at him that he couldn't cope. And the pressure from his new friends who told him to break up with me because of the distance... he told me he didn't listen to them but I think their voices were at the back of his head. His parents also said I was a wonderful woman and he may never find any better, despite my problems (problems being I shut down during arguments and I don't like solving problem which I need to work on). I told him to think for a few more days but it's absolute torture because I'm really hurt and I miss him a heck of a lot. I think if we do get back together I'm going to lay down some ground rules, focusing on making sure he manages to make some time for me even if it's just a bit, and making this relationship 2 sided not just me doing all the work. Stuff like that. If you come up with any more kind of things to change, please let me know. I also want your opinion on the whole situation. Also apparently his new friends didn't comfort him at all. Only one of them showed some moderate affection only because he has a girlfriend who's long ish distance and I felt really sorry for him. But I do still love him more than anything and he loves me too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending