The Student Room Group

Advice on how to break up with my bf before uni

I want to break up with my bf as I'm off to uni and he's going into work, but I am worried how he will react, we are each others first, how do I go about ending things?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PennyOnTheDollar
You are about to break up with him and then go to uni , why do you care how he will react ?

Ask to meet him , tell him it’s over for whatever ever reason you see fit . Then go to uni . Outta sight outta mind .

Damn bro t-thats brutal...
Reply 2
Avoid a horrible build up period, face to face, his place, be as honest as possible, avoid clichés, listen to what he has to say. That’s about as good as it gets
I feel really sorry for your boyfriend but tbf long-distance relationships in uni hardly ever work out so maybe you're doing him a favour by ending it now and not in a year's time
Reply 4
Breakups are rough...it's just part of the deal. So just go about it in a respectful way, which IMO would be talking to him in person. Just be honest with him and explain it's a tough decision but that you feel like it's what is best for both of you at this point.

How long have y'all been together?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
I want to break up with my bf as I'm off to uni and he's going into work

You're breaking up with someone because they've got a job. Won't you be working after uni? Does that mean you'll stay single whilst you follow your career?

Come on, what's the real reason?
Just explain that you have realised you are awful and he genuinely deserves better, that covers things accurately.
Reply 7
well you owe him honesty, so just be honest about your reasons. you can't control the outcome though
Surnia, the real reason is that OP wants to be single for uni so she can have a lot of sex and hookups without it being classed as cheating.
Reply 9
I know long distance relationships are difficult but they are still very doable. Why break-up without even trying? :frown:. I would understand if you tried and it wasn't working. But you haven't even started trying!

Has he done anything wrong? What happened? He's going to ask these questions and I think he deserves at least an explanation.
Reply 10
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Surnia, the real reason is that OP wants to be single for uni so she can have a lot of sex and hookups without it being classed as cheating.

This anyway isn’t wrong. It’s generally accepted that if a relationship becomes something you don’t want then you’re allowed to end it
Reply 11

Noooo. Really? I'm shocked. I must have led a very sheltered life to have not thought of this. I mean, it never crossed my mind..
:colondollar:
Original post by Zarek
This anyway isn’t wrong. It’s generally accepted that if a relationship becomes something you don’t want then you’re allowed to end it

Of course. Most pre-uni relationships fail anyway.
Reply 13

I think you're right
Reply 14
I want to break up with my bf as I'm off to uni and he's going into work, but I am worried how he will react, we are each others first, how do I go about ending things?

Why you want to break up?
Is it because you going to Uni or more?
Reply 15
Original post by DarylO
I know long distance relationships are difficult but they are still very doable. Why break-up without even trying? :frown:. I would understand if you tried and it wasn't working. But you haven't even started trying!

Has he done anything wrong? What happened? He's going to ask these questions and I think he deserves at least an explanation.

From what I’ve seen this always ends in carnage, sooner or later, usually sooner. And if she’s having reservations already..
Reply 16

If u really like him take him out to dinner, if you don't so much at least tell him in person

Wow, just wow.
Where, oh where, has the OP gone???
Original post by Surnia
Noooo. Really? I'm shocked. I must have led a very sheltered life to have not thought of this. I mean, it never crossed my mind..
:colondollar:

:colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending