The Student Room Group

University of Southampton A100 (BM5) 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Wishfull
Did anyone receive an email today to say their application was been looked at....I had a shock thought itcwas rejection

Yes they send a generic email as an update saying applications being looked at and invites to a selection day would be sent through Jan to March.
Reply 61
Original post by M.S.R
Yes they send a generic email as an update saying applications being looked at and invites to a selection day would be sent through Jan to March.

Thankyou hysteria is setting in with me
in what order do they send the invites? do they go down the ucat scores?
Original post by patricia786
in what order do they send the invites? do they go down the ucat scores?

From reading list years thread there isnt really an apparent method to it for home school leavers as such. The other groups as per the interview dates tend to get them together, ie mature and grads / ints.

Ints get them 5 or so.weeks before and home about 2-3.

The first dates aren't until the end of Jan so time to go I think.
When do you think they might start giving out invites for interview? 😨
Original post by crystaltree
When do you think they might start giving out invites for interview? 😨

After Christmas for home students as they say 2-3 weeks before interview and first interview is end of Jan.

4-5 weeks notice for international students, so maybe a few before Christmas for them to plan their trip poss.

All a guess, though, based on what they have published and last years threads.
I’m a first year soton med student, if you guys have any q’s abt the uni/ course pls ask :smile:
Original post by Faisal101
I’m a first year soton med student, if you guys have any q’s abt the uni/ course pls ask :smile:

What is a good chain hotel to stay closest to uni? Which premier inn specifically? How good is uber service?
What is a good chain hotel to stay closest to uni? Which premier inn specifically? How good is uber service?

Erm ik there’s a travelodge not that far from campus. And yh uber is decent

Would West quay premier inn or city centre premier inn be closer ?
I will look for travelodge as well

Thanks 😊
Would West quay premier inn or city centre premier inn be closer ?
I will look for travelodge as well

It depends how you are getting to Southampton and if by train may not be on your route. But if coning from London Waterloo then the Southampton airport parkway station is 3 mins walk from the Southampton Airport Premier inn.

If driving it has plenty of parking and easy roads into the uni.

It also has a bus stop right outside. The U1C bus comes every 7-10 minutes during the day and goes on to stop at the Highfield interchange right in the centre of the uni. It's smooth and regular but likely to be full of students. On the journey there you will be fine seatwise as it goes from the airport to the halls of residence then onto the uni. On return it might be busier until you get past Wessex hall. Or go into Southampton centre froma bus at the interchange and get a train from there. They take contactless. The unilink bus map is useful and shows stops and bus locations.

If looking to stay in Southampton, town centre then check the bus routes too just in case Uber is busy.

The Elizabeth Hotel near the uni is pretty walkable if the weather is reasonable and may be pricier depending on the PI rates in Jan.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by circusqueen
It depends how you are getting to Southampton and if by train may not be on your route. But if coning from London Waterloo then the Southampton airport parkway station is 3 mins walk from the Southampton Airport Premier inn.

It also has a bus stop right outside. The U1C bus comes every 7-10 minutes during the day and goes on to stop at the Highfield interchange right in the centre of the uni. It's smooth and regular but likely to be full of students. On the journey there you will be fine seatwise as it goes from the airport to the halls of residence then onto the uni. On return it might be busier until you get past Wessex hall. Or go into Southampton centre froma bus at the interchange and get a train from there. They take contactless. The unilink bus map is useful and shows stops and bus locations.

If looking to stay in Southampton, town centre then check the bus routes too just in case Uber is busy.

The Elizabeth Hotel near the uni is pretty walkable if the weather is reasonable and may be pricier depending on the PI rates in Jan.

Thank you so much
Reply 73

How are you finding the uni so far and would you recommend soton? Also are you finding the course to be manageable or is it a case of constantly trying to not get behind?
Reply 74

Did u get an Interview?
Original post by Wishfull
Did u get an Interview?

No. Southampton hasn't issued any invites yet as far as I know. Last year they were after Christmas.

I just know Southampton uni 😁
Reply 76
No. Southampton hasn't issued any invites yet as far as I know. Last year they were after Christmas.

I just know Southampton uni 😁

Thankyou when someone mentions the word interview panic sets it in😃
Original post by ee298
How are you finding the uni so far and would you recommend soton? Also are you finding the course to be manageable or is it a case of constantly trying to not get behind?

I love the uni!!!! The workload is manageable, I think everyone in my cohort so far feels constantly behinf, but I think over time once we get into the flow of things it’ll get better. And being constantly behind is not a bad thing as long as you pass right. I would defo recommend.
I love the uni!!!! The workload is manageable, I think everyone in my cohort so far feels constantly behinf, but I think over time once we get into the flow of things it’ll get better. And being constantly behind is not a bad thing as long as you pass right. I would defo recommend.

Glad to hear it's going well.

I have been trying to work out whether Soton is PBL or more CBL ? Could you explain a bit about that part of it. I thought from open days it was primarily lecture with small group work, but struggle to find info on the amount of small group work and whether it is very PBL self directed like Plymouth for example ?

What is your experience ?
Glad to hear it's going well.

I have been trying to work out whether Soton is PBL or more CBL ? Could you explain a bit about that part of it. I thought from open days it was primarily lecture with small group work, but struggle to find info on the amount of small group work and whether it is very PBL self directed like Plymouth for example ?

What is your experience ?

Southampton doesn’t do cbl or pbl (and I think that’s a really good thing). We have lots of lectures unfortunately (but at least it’s better than pbl or cbl) then we have subject tutorials where we’re in small groups with the lecturer or someone from the subject team and they basically consolidate the topic with us going through questions together. So not very self directed, although we do have ssu1 which is a group project to design a public health intervention and that is almost 100% self directed. I don’t think self directed teaching is good, but I don’t like lectures either 💀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending