The Student Room Group

University of Southampton A100 (BM5) 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Faisal101
Southampton doesn’t do cbl or pbl (and I think that’s a really good thing). We have lots of lectures unfortunately (but at least it’s better than pbl or cbl) then we have subject tutorials where we’re in small groups with the lecturer or someone from the subject team and they basically consolidate the topic with us going through questions together. So not very self directed, although we do have ssu1 which is a group project to design a public health intervention and that is almost 100% self directed. I don’t think self directed teaching is good, but I don’t like lectures either 💀

Excellent description thank you, and exactly what I wanted to hear !
I noticed that Southampton didn’t use sjt for 2023 entry. However does anyone know will they be consider the sjt this year as well? I got b3 but a good UCAT score so didn’t really know if applying to Southampton is a good or bad choice. Well I still applied tho.
Hi. May I know how will Southampton weigh predicted grades this year? Or they will only be using UCAT as long as you meet the entry requirement of predicted grades. Thankyou!
Original post by usernamecsk
Hi. May I know how will Southampton weigh predicted grades this year? Or they will only be using UCAT as long as you meet the entry requirement of predicted grades. Thankyou!

only ucat
So can they send out invites from tomorrow? 😅🫣
Original post by crystaltree

I guess possibly, anything is possible right ?!

But they do say 2-3 weeks notice for UK applicants so I would've thought after Christmas. Happy to be wrong though.

International applicants get 5-6 weeks notice as they have to attend in person and travel. So they might start to hear soon, of not already.

I assume they’ll be sent out in January.
Reply 87
Original post by Faisal101
I assume they’ll be sent out in January.

Is southampton diverse ? Is their a good mix of nationalities
Original post by usernamecsk
I noticed that Southampton didn’t use sjt for 2023 entry. However does anyone know will they be consider the sjt this year as well? I got b3 but a good UCAT score so didn’t really know if applying to Southampton is a good or bad choice. Well I still applied tho.

Hello,

[start]Final year Bm5 student at southampton here 👋[/start]
From my own personal experience with interviews back in 2019, the SJT isn’t used by southampton for interview invites. Here is what the university website says about interview selection All applicants who meet the entry requirements through either achieved or predicted grades at the point of application are ranked by UCAT score and the top number invited to interview. Please see the ''How to apply'' tab for further interview details.” Here is a link with all the info on what the uni looks at to send out interviews https://www.southampton.ac.uk/~assets/doc/medicine/Selection%20Procedure%20and%20Policy%20for%20the%20Faculty.pdf

Hope this is helpful, best of luck with your application!

[start]Don’t hesitate if you have any other questions[/start]

[start]Cynthia ( University of Southampton student ambassador)[/start]
[start]https://www.southampton.ac.uk[/start]
Original post by Wishfull
Is southampton diverse ? Is their a good mix of nationalities

Hello,

[start]The university is very diverse, however the city is less so. Obviously it will depend on where you’re coming from , so if the level of diversity you are used to is London , then southampton isn’t diverse as a city. But for the south of England it’s definitely more diverse than other places. I’ve had a really good experience meeting students from different countries and cultural backgrounds, and there are many cultural societies within SUSU. There are also several international and asian supermarkets, so if like me you might worry about finding ingredients for some recipes , that won’t be a problem![/start]

Reply 90
Original post by halloreem
does anyone know when offers for interviews are coming out?

The website says 2-3 weeks before your selection day, the first one is at the end of January. :smile:
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 91
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hello,

[start]The university is very diverse, however the city is less so. Obviously it will depend on where you’re coming from , so if the level of diversity you are used to is London , then southampton isn’t diverse as a city. But for the south of England it’s definitely more diverse than other places. I’ve had a really good experience meeting students from different countries and cultural backgrounds, and there are many cultural societies within SUSU. There are also several international and asian supermarkets, so if like me you might worry about finding ingredients for some recipes , that won’t be a problem![/start]

Thankyou for your response...I didn't want to be the only brown at uni nice to have a diverse mix if possible
Thankyou for your response...I didn't want to be the only brown at uni nice to have a diverse mix if possible

😝you are funny
Reply 93
😝you are funny

😊 can't take life too seriously ....nice to lighten up things
😊 can't take life too seriously ....nice to lighten up things

Honestly so much of stress for a career choice
Reply 95
Honestly so much of stress for a career choice

Very true !
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students
Hello,

Yeah I completely agree. The uni is so diverse, just from my friend group, we have Somalis, Bengalis, Pakistanis, Turks, Tamils, Sinhalese, Albanians, Syrians, Palestinians. And as you’ve said the societies here are so diverse, the Islamic society is amazing, I’ve only been here since October and they’ve already ran sooo many big events. And the other cultural societies are really active too. Southampton uni has a lot of East Asians too. And because of bmeu we have a lot of Germans in our cohort. The city yes is less diverse, but you’ll definitely find everything you need, there are certain areas which are really diverse, especially st Mary’s, and portswood which is right next to the uni, is quite diverse too. I think I’ve counted there’s like 10 mosques in the city? Lots of gurdawaras too. Lots of Asian and other international grocery stores too. I think people are often surprised by the diversity when they come to Southampton
Did anyone get notification today saying there are still considering applications?
Reply 98
Did anyone get notification today saying there are still considering applications?

yes - im wondering if they sent a batch of intervirew invites alongisde this -- im sooo scared
Reply 99
Original post by hetvip78

yes - im wondering if they sent a batch of intervirew invites alongisde this -- im sooo scared

dw loads of people in the gc got it aswell and no one with an interview! just a generic email so don’t stress, first batch should hear like next week tho!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending