The Student Room Group

Official: University of Cardiff A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by macaroni48
do Cardiff allow resit students with extenuating circumstances? received ABB in my A Levels this year and 2780 B2 in UCAT but have extenuating health circumstances backed by doctors+6th form.

Not as far as I know. It says not allowed. The deadline for extenuating circumstances for Cardiff has passed i think unfortunately.
Reply 21
Original post by macaroni48
do Cardiff allow resit students with extenuating circumstances? received ABB in my A Levels this year and 2780 B2 in UCAT but have extenuating health circumstances backed by doctors+6th form.

https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/documents/2666817-extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-guidance-applicants

Sadly, I think the deadline to get the relevant form in may have passed for 2024 entry. Many med schools want to review ExCircs before you apply, so deadlines are often in September
Reply 22
Hi everyone. I am international student on gap year and re-apply.
Achieved - 3A* (Bio, Maths, Eng Lit) and A (Chem) and EPQ A*
- GCSE 10 9's and 1 x 8
Going to do UCAT on 26/Sept.

Not sure whether good chance for me or not. Any opinion would be very much appreciated.
Reply 23
@Luckluck It's pretty impossible to say without the UCAT tbh, even if Cardiff don't use it to select for interview in the same way as other places. Depending on your UCAT you may have much better options.
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi, I have got five 7's a 9 and two 6's, with A level prediction of A*AA and UCAT score of 2310 and Band 3, do you all think I should apply to Cardiff this year or take a year???
Reply 25
Are you a Welsh student?

Original post by sameehaakhtar
Hi, I have got five 7's a 9 and two 6's, with A level prediction of A*AA and UCAT score of 2310 and Band 3, do you all think I should apply to Cardiff this year or take a year???
Original post by Nicolamun
Are you a Welsh student?

No
Reply 27
No

There is a mega thread on TSR you might be better to post your stats there and ask for advice.
Reply 28

No

I think Cardiff would likely be a risk with these stats even if Welsh. More so if not unfortunately. They rejected a lot of people in the last few years with full 9s and a high UCAT score.
Reply 29
I got my UCAT score 2990 Band 2.
So with achieved 10 x9s and AL 3A*+1A
What do u think of chances please
I am international student.

@GGIN

Original post by GGIN
@Luckluck It's pretty impossible to say without the UCAT tbh, even if Cardiff don't use it to select for interview in the same way as other places. Depending on your UCAT you may have much better options.
Reply 30
Got 2710 B2 and 7 9s, 2 8s and 2 7s is cardiff risky?
Original post by AdishreeR
Got 2710 B2 and 7 9s, 2 8s and 2 7s is cardiff risky?

cardiff is a bit risky regardless of your stats if you're not welsh or contextual
Reply 32
Hi I am thinking of Cardiff these are my stats:
8 nines and 1 eight (and an A in greek gcse when they had letter grades) total :27/27 points
UCAT: 2790 B2
A*AA predicted
In my opinion I have quite a good PS that has been checked over by my medicine supervisor at my sixth form and I followed the bullet points on the Cardiff Uni website to structure it
I am not a welsh student but do you think I still have a shot at an interview or is the UCAT too low?
I was looking online at statistics and by the looks of it not many welsh students apply than we think I believe with approximately 30% of applicants having 27/27 gcse points so that should cut loads out
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 33
Original post by ewarman
Hi I am thinking of Cardiff these are my stats:
8 nines and 1 eight (and an A in greek gcse when they had letter grades) total :27/27 points
UCAT: 2790 B2
A*AA predicted
In my opinion I have quite a good PS that has been checked over by my medicine supervisor at my sixth form and I followed the bullet points on the Cardiff Uni website to structure it
I am not a welsh student but do you think I still have a shot at an interview or is the UCAT too low?
I was looking online at statistics and by the looks of it not many welsh students apply than we think I believe with approximately 30% of applicants having 27/27 gcse points so that should cut loads out

For Cardiff, looks like <8% of English applicants got an offer for 2023 entry - they are all likely to have had 9 x A* equivalents and/or been strongly contextual
6.5% Northern Irish applicants
5% scottish applicants
and 27% of welsh applicants

I would be very surprised if only 30% of Cardiff applicants score 27/27, given they give points for acchieved A levels as well as GCSEs

Every year, for the 10 or so years I have been doing this, people think they have a strong application for Cardiff and every year, multiple people with full academic points who tailored their PS to Cardiff are rejected, even with high UCAT. My guess is that the 3 extra points available to Welsh (and presumably contextual) applicants are just that - extra points. So people are actually scored out of 30, but the most a non-contextual can score is 27 and the cut off has been >27! But Cardiff will not confirm how they score people and past cut offs, so it remains impossible to recommend them unless there are really no other options - and you have other options :smile:

Of course, some people get in to Cardiff, but I am not sure any non-Welsh, non-contextual applicants do. They do have a very complex 300 point contextual system, so it is likely people get some points, even if they are not aware of it and this may explain those who are not typically WP who get an interview.
Reply 34
Original post by GANFYD
For Cardiff, looks like <8% of English applicants got an offer for 2023 entry - they are all likely to have had 9 x A* equivalents and/or been strongly contextual
5% scottish applicants
and 27% of welsh applicants

I would be very surprised if only 30% of Cardiff applicants score 27/27, given they give points for acchieved A levels as well as GCSEs

Every year, for the 10 or so years I have been doing this, people think they have a strong application for Cardiff and every year, multiple people with full academic points who tailored their PS to Cardiff are rejected, even with high UCAT. My guess is that the 3 extra points available to Welsh (and presumably contextual) applicants are just that - extra points. So people are actually scored out of 30, but the most a non-contextual can score is 27 and the cut off has been >27! But Cardiff will not confirm how they score people and past cut offs, so it remains impossible to recommend them unless there are really no other options - and you have other options :smile:

Of course, some people get in to Cardiff, but I am not sure any non-Welsh, non-contextual applicants do. They do have a very complex 300 point contextual system, so it is likely people get some points, even if they are not aware of it and this may explain those who are not typically WP who get an interview.

Ok thanks for the advice thank you so much.
I guess I was hoping that there would be a better chance because I love the course so much but I might look at other options😅
Reply 35
Original post by ewarman
Ok thanks for the advice thank you so much.
I guess I was hoping that there would be a better chance because I love the course so much but I might look at other options😅

It is about how much you like Cardiff and how much risk you are prepared to tolerate?
Would you feel worse if you got an offer for another med school but somehow found out you would have been shortlisted for Cardiff (you can never know this, in this case!) or if you get rejected from all options? And remember, most applicants get no medicine offers, sadly, so it is not a case of still having 3 to choose from, as statistically, you are most likely to end up with zero offers, so I would be maximising every opportunity.
Good luck!
Reply 36
hi, im thinking about applying to Cardiff - graduate applicant with 2:1 achieved and cat 2700 b1. also English applicant - is it worth applying? I know achieved degree gives max academic points but is it too much or a risky choice being a non welsh applicant?

any opinion would be appreciated!!
Reply 37
Original post by grog692
hi, im thinking about applying to Cardiff - graduate applicant with 2:1 achieved and cat 2700 b1. also English applicant - is it worth applying? I know achieved degree gives max academic points but is it too much or a risky choice being a non welsh applicant?

any opinion would be appreciated!!

For Cardiff, looks like <8% of English applicants got an offer for 2023 entry - they are all likely to have had max academic points and/or been strongly contextual.

5% scottish applicants
and
27% of welsh applicants

Many, many people with full academic points are rejected every year, especially if not Welsh!
I applied A100 cardiff on 30 September. Now I don't receive email from cardiff to notice me that they receive my application. Does anyone received e mail from Cardiff Uni?
has anyone else had an INSANELY early offer from cardiff? i sent my ucas form in last week for history and politics and got an offer for BBB less than 24 hours later- ik my course isn’t very competitive but it’s still weird… not complaining though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending