The Student Room Group

Would my former 6th form school let me back in ?

So my secondary school I loved it so much I loved the teachers as well I was planning to go there for 6th form until during my gcse a really close family member died which affected my gcse results my school they needed 7-7 for chem and bio but I only had 5-5 which I was expected to get 8-8 I became distressed and mentally wasn’t well I started looking for a different school which had lower requirements and so I went the school needed 6-6 which I was closer to I didn’t have my parents to help me with anything because they went to my home country due to our relative dying so I did this all myself I went to the school and told them if I can just have a chance to do bio and chem or atleast just bio the head 6th form said okay you can do bio and that I take the baseline test this gave me so much hope cause during the summer I had revised so much for gcse bio and chem and even started the alevel so I was so prepared and to show the teachers I’m not that behind I took the baseline test for bio and I got 90%!! I got the highest in the class and now I just needed to do chem when I asked to do chem they delayed me so much they said oh talk to me tmr oh I’m busy talk to me the next day and making me talk to many unnecessary teachers so I ended up missing the chemistry test I asked the chemistry teacher if they have a spare test and I can do it rn he said depends what grade you got I told him my grade and he said your not capable for it and that I won’t achieve higher than a D but I told him then it will my fault but I want to take chemistry and let me prove it from the test I was even ahead of the class and had done anki flashcards more so I have an older sibling who does bio and chem in yr 13 so I’m willing to put the effort he said okay sure but then when I came back the next day prepared for the test another teacher said I couldn’t do chemistry because I didn’t get the 6-6 so that teacher messed up the whole plan and told the chemistry teacher not for me to take the test I still stayed positive as I believed I could atleast have bio the biology class I went to I stayed for the lesson despite my timetable not being changed I really loved it and answered many questions the biology teacher said herself I was bright then after the lesson I went to the head of 6th form if she could change my timetable she said oh yeah what grade was it you had I said 5-5 she said no but I told her you said I could take it if I did well on the test and she said yeah but still you can’t just change when I tell you my heart dropped cause how do you tell me 2 weeks before I can do it then now you say no then she lied to me saying oh you need a 8-8 I said to her miss you said I can do it and she said remember your external I’m not just gonna make it easy for you and if you don’t like it then get out I bet that’s why your former school kicked you out to come here instead I started having a panick attack my former school were understanding and kind they never kicked me out I just left cause the grades were to high the way I missed my parents and my friends and now my dream of doing medicine all cause I was mourning this school Iam in I’ve never felt this type of sadness in my life I’m doing part time job so I could pay for bio and chem books I even applied for work experience and have done my personal statement for medicine it’s a dream I cannot let go I’m still young and most unis don’t look at gcse at much imagine my English and maths it’s a grade 9 everything a 7 just science 5-5 like why is it so strict now I just don’t know what to do I’m thinking I should have never left my school and just spoke to my teacher about everything cause they know I was predicted 8-8 I just need some advice and if it’s too late to go back to my school it’s only been a month they have space just if they would let me take the subject I wouldn’t even behind since I’ve revised them he school I’m in rn they do not like external students at all because they gave an internal student bio and chem and they had a grade 4 this student was even my friend she said she just asked and they gave her the teachers do not like me at all because they said I’m making a hustle and annoying the teachers saying if I can move subject I have no one to talk to no support I’m just alone without my parents rn too:frown:
Icl I feel not depressed but just empty I didn’t know they treat external students like this and also the gcse grades I wish I hadn’t care about the death and just focused but crying everyday trying to revise they just clash I feel so young and I believe I still have a chance to do medicine just if someone can please lift me up and encourage me or just anything I can do or what to say I can do private but then I’d have to work I’m guessing it would be very expensive??
Original post by Liya_123
So my secondary school I loved it so much I loved the teachers as well I was planning to go there for 6th form until during my gcse a really close family member died which affected my gcse results my school they needed 7-7 for chem and bio but I only had 5-5 which I was expected to get 8-8 I became distressed and mentally wasn’t well I started looking for a different school which had lower requirements and so I went the school needed 6-6 which I was closer to I didn’t have my parents to help me with anything because they went to my home country due to our relative dying so I did this all myself I went to the school and told them if I can just have a chance to do bio and chem or atleast just bio the head 6th form said okay you can do bio and that I take the baseline test this gave me so much hope cause during the summer I had revised so much for gcse bio and chem and even started the alevel so I was so prepared and to show the teachers I’m not that behind I took the baseline test for bio and I got 90%!! I got the highest in the class and now I just needed to do chem when I asked to do chem they delayed me so much they said oh talk to me tmr oh I’m busy talk to me the next day and making me talk to many unnecessary teachers so I ended up missing the chemistry test I asked the chemistry teacher if they have a spare test and I can do it rn he said depends what grade you got I told him my grade and he said your not capable for it and that I won’t achieve higher than a D but I told him then it will my fault but I want to take chemistry and let me prove it from the test I was even ahead of the class and had done anki flashcards more so I have an older sibling who does bio and chem in yr 13 so I’m willing to put the effort he said okay sure but then when I came back the next day prepared for the test another teacher said I couldn’t do chemistry because I didn’t get the 6-6 so that teacher messed up the whole plan and told the chemistry teacher not for me to take the test I still stayed positive as I believed I could atleast have bio the biology class I went to I stayed for the lesson despite my timetable not being changed I really loved it and answered many questions the biology teacher said herself I was bright then after the lesson I went to the head of 6th form if she could change my timetable she said oh yeah what grade was it you had I said 5-5 she said no but I told her you said I could take it if I did well on the test and she said yeah but still you can’t just change when I tell you my heart dropped cause how do you tell me 2 weeks before I can do it then now you say no then she lied to me saying oh you need a 8-8 I said to her miss you said I can do it and she said remember your external I’m not just gonna make it easy for you and if you don’t like it then get out I bet that’s why your former school kicked you out to come here instead I started having a panick attack my former school were understanding and kind they never kicked me out I just left cause the grades were to high the way I missed my parents and my friends and now my dream of doing medicine all cause I was mourning this school Iam in I’ve never felt this type of sadness in my life I’m doing part time job so I could pay for bio and chem books I even applied for work experience and have done my personal statement for medicine it’s a dream I cannot let go I’m still young and most unis don’t look at gcse at much imagine my English and maths it’s a grade 9 everything a 7 just science 5-5 like why is it so strict now I just don’t know what to do I’m thinking I should have never left my school and just spoke to my teacher about everything cause they know I was predicted 8-8 I just need some advice and if it’s too late to go back to my school it’s only been a month they have space just if they would let me take the subject I wouldn’t even behind since I’ve revised them he school I’m in rn they do not like external students at all because they gave an internal student bio and chem and they had a grade 4 this student was even my friend she said she just asked and they gave her the teachers do not like me at all because they said I’m making a hustle and annoying the teachers saying if I can move subject I have no one to talk to no support I’m just alone without my parents rn too:frown:
Icl I feel not depressed but just empty I didn’t know they treat external students like this and also the gcse grades I wish I hadn’t care about the death and just focused but crying everyday trying to revise they just clash I feel so young and I believe I still have a chance to do medicine just if someone can please lift me up and encourage me or just anything I can do or what to say I can do private but then I’d have to work I’m guessing it would be very expensive??

Two options spring to mind.

1. Contact you old school. Explain (much more briefly than you've done above) your situation and ask about rejoining. They may be full, or they may be firm on their grade requirements. But it does absolutely no harm to ask.

2. You could consider studying Chemistry A level as a private candidate. You would need to register directly with the exam board, and you would need to register with a test centre to actually sit the exams. All the studying, you do on your own from books, YouTube, other on-line resources, etc. I don't know the exact cost, but it'll be in the hundreds rather than thousands of pounds.

Option 2 does have a difficulty in terms of the practical components of the course. There are exam centres where you can arrange to do the required practicals, but they are expensive. Google should help you find such exam centres local to you.

An alternative would be to do the International A level instead, as that doesn't contain required practicals. But then you'd need to check with your target medical schools to ensure they'd be happy with this approach.

If you do contact medical schools to check they'd be happy with a mix of A levels and International A levels, please be brief when explaining your reasons for doing so. For example, "The death of a close family member meant that I missed the required GCSE grades for by school, despite me being more than capable."

Good luck. :crossedf:
Original post by DataVenia
Two options spring to mind.

1. Contact you old school. Explain (much more briefly than you've done above) your situation and ask about rejoining. They may be full, or they may be firm on their grade requirements. But it does absolutely no harm to ask.

2. You could consider studying Chemistry A level as a private candidate. You would need to register directly with the exam board, and you would need to register with a test centre to actually sit the exams. All the studying, you do on your own from books, YouTube, other on-line resources, etc. I don't know the exact cost, but it'll be in the hundreds rather than thousands of pounds.

Option 2 does have a difficulty in terms of the practical components of the course. There are exam centres where you can arrange to do the required practicals, but they are expensive. Google should help you find such exam centres local to you.

An alternative would be to do the International A level instead, as that doesn't contain required practicals. But then you'd need to check with your target medical schools to ensure they'd be happy with this approach.

If you do contact medical schools to check they'd be happy with a mix of A levels and International A levels, please be brief when explaining your reasons for doing so. For example, "The death of a close family member meant that I missed the required GCSE grades for by school, despite me being more than capable."

Good luck. :crossedf:

Thankyou so much my grandma and my aunt arranged a meeting for Monday for my former school my school they are full but they said they can fit me in my school also have been generous as they accepted 2 people my classmates who failed every single exam so I hope they let me do the bio and chem another thing is I’m quite lucky because in the school Iam in now we have done baseline tests but in my former school the baseline test is at the end of the month so my aunt will say for me to take the test ect I just hope it works out
Thankyou so much my grandma and my aunt arranged a meeting for Monday for my former school my school they are full but they said they can fit me in my school also have been generous as they accepted 2 people my classmates who failed every single exam so I hope they let me do the bio and chem another thing is I’m quite lucky because in the school Iam in now we have done baseline tests but in my former school the baseline test is at the end of the month so my aunt will say for me to take the test ect I just hope it works out

That sounds like great news. Do let us know what happens. :smile:
Original post by DataVenia
That sounds like great news. Do let us know what

My grandma and aunt had a meeting with the head of 6th first they told her the whole situation and why I moved to different schools the teacher said she would have let me done the subjects I wanted to do either way cause of the factors that had happened to me during the gcse she was so nice and understanding then as my aunt was about to end the meeting the teacher said If I had the printed version of my gcse grade and my mum said no she doesn’t have so the teacher put my name and code the grades that showed up on her screen was completely different to the grades that I had the one I saw I had almost all 5’s but the one my teacher saw had said I had 7 and 8s so the teacher was confused then it turns out the grades I had was someone else’s because the codes were different so idk if God has just blessed me but yeah every subject was 7 and 8s accept for maths that was 6 the teacher kept apologising but my aunt was just confused lol but yeah next week I’m starting my lessons back in my former school
My grandma and aunt had a meeting with the head of 6th first they told her the whole situation and why I moved to different schools the teacher said she would have let me done the subjects I wanted to do either way cause of the factors that had happened to me during the gcse she was so nice and understanding then as my aunt was about to end the meeting the teacher said If I had the printed version of my gcse grade and my mum said no she doesn’t have so the teacher put my name and code the grades that showed up on her screen was completely different to the grades that I had the one I saw I had almost all 5’s but the one my teacher saw had said I had 7 and 8s so the teacher was confused then it turns out the grades I had was someone else’s because the codes were different so idk if God has just blessed me but yeah every subject was 7 and 8s accept for maths that was 6 the teacher kept apologising but my aunt was just confused lol but yeah next week I’m starting my lessons back in my former school

Well, that was a rollercoaster of a post!

The meeting seemed to be going well, then all the grades were different, then they were different in your favour, and finally your starting back at your old school!

A fantastic result, and an end to what must have been a very stressful period for you. I'm delighted. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending