The Student Room Group

UEA or University of Nottingham for Compsci

Guys, I need some help in making a decision asap in terms of whether i should go for UEA or University of Nottingham for Compsci, UEA is currently higher ranked overall, but for compsci notts comes on top, honestly idk, my friends are going uea, but notts seems better in some other aspects. I dont really care about rankings that much, but what i prioritise is facilities, social life including have a group of people to chill with, prospects, and overall experience etc.

What do you guys think and cheers.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by abelk6827
Guys, I need some help in making a decision asap in terms of whether i should go for UEA or University of Nottingham for Compsci, UEA is currently higher ranked overall, but for compsci notts comes on top, honestly idk, my friends are going uea, but notts seems better in some other aspects. I dont really care about rankings that much, but what i prioritise is facilities, social life including have a group of people to chill with, prospects, and overall experience etc.

Nottingham is a better choice. UEA is facing financial crisis. It is likely to see reduced investment in facilities and resources in the coming years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-64810537
Reply 2
Original post by abelk6827

UEA for sure. They have some great work placements and cyber kit, and they said on the open day they have a new contract with Google for a tensorflow programme starting September
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by bshqian
Nottingham is a better choice. UEA is facing financial crisis. It is likely to see reduced investment in facilities and resources in the coming years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-64810537

Nah that’s old. there was a drop in income last year bc of Covid. It’s sorted now, they’ve got a new chief and he’s reduced low income subjects like arts and increasing investment in comp sci, law etc cos they are sustainable for the future. They’ve just started a contract with Google aswell
Reply 4
Original post by Cat21466
Nah that’s old. there was a drop in income last year bc of Covid. It’s sorted now, they’ve got a new chief and he’s reduced low income subjects like arts and increasing investment in comp sci, law etc cos they are sustainable for the future. They’ve just started a contract with Google aswell

The BBC news was in this March:
The University of East Anglia has warned staff of possible compulsory redundancies as its £30m deficit for 2023-2024 is expected to swell to £45m in three years' time.

I thought that this crisis was still ongoing. I will let insiders talk :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by bshqian
The BBC news was in this March:
The University of East Anglia has warned staff of possible compulsory redundancies as its £30m deficit for 2023-2024 is expected to swell to £45m in three years' time.

I thought that this crisis was still ongoing. I will let insiders talk :smile:

The then chief exec lost it and emailed all the staff then quit a few days later! he’s already been replaced, they’re avoiding redundancies through natural staff loss like retirement, and they have a new growth strategy - less investment and cutbacks in arts etc, as they see their future in tech where they’ll pump money (hence the new contract with Google announced in July). So it’s a good place for the op, not so much for a drama student lol.

all the unis will be struggling bc of Covid, brexit etc - at least UEA have already started dealing with it
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest