The Student Room Group

Optometry with no a levels

Hi all, I just wanted to know if it is possible to become an optician with a btech in applied science and no alevels or if there are options such as apprenticeships for this profession?
Reply 1
You can’t do optometry with a btec. You have to do the btec along side a science a-level.
But you can do a science based Access course at college. This is a one year level 3 course. Most unis accept them, you just need a certain amount of credits. Or you can do a foundation year and then enter optom.
Don’t think there are any apprenticeships for optom.
(edited 2 years ago)
Have you considered Cardiff University's optometry with a preliminary year programme?
Reply 3
Original post by KPOOPER
You can’t do optometry with a btec. You have to do the btec along side a science a-level.
But you can do a science based Access course at college. This is a one year level 3 course. Most unis accept them, you just need a certain amount of credits. Or you can do a foundation year and then enter optom.
Don’t think there are any apprenticeships for optom.

hi ,
I'm having a similar struggle as the original poster and I am also looking for alternatives to Optometry. can you please elaborate of what information you have about the "access course"? I haven't heard about them before?

Quick Reply

Latest