The Student Room Group

HISTORY GCSEs..

Anyone who is doing history GCSEs...
How many pages do you write for the big questions and what methods do you use to study..
I got a 9+ in my year 10 mocks but still need to keep it up..Kinda ran out of time in the exam as I wrote two much(ex- 5 pages for the 12 marker)
Original post by Supipi Rajapakse
How many pages do you write for the big questions and what methods do you use to study..
I got a 9+ in my year 10 mocks but still need to keep it up..Kinda ran out of time in the exam as I wrote two much(ex- 5 pages for the 12 marker)

What exam board are you doing? I didn't do history so I can't really help you but it may help others answer your question :smile:

If your exam board is edexcel then a 12 marker is like a page and a half to 2 pages , i did maybe a page to a page and a half in real exams and got an 8 which was a couple marks off a 9.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
What exam board are you doing? I didn't do history so I can't really help you but it may help others answer your question :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply....I am doing AQA hisotry
Original post by username14526
If your exam board is edexcel then a 12 marker is like a page and a half to 2 pages , i did maybe a page to a page and a half in real exams and got an 8 which was a couple marks off a 9.

Thank you so much!!!!!
I am doing AQA:smile:
Reply 5
Thank you so much!!!!!
I am doing AQA:smile:

Hi I did AQA: the modules I did were Elizabeth, germany, conflict and tension and migration

For 4 markers, I’d write 1 page (2 paragraphs)
For 8 markers, I’d write a page and a half (3 paragraphs inc conclusion)
For 12 markers, I’d write 2 pages (3 lengthy paragraphs including conclusion)
For 16 markers I’d write 3-4 pages (4 lengthy paragraphs including conclusion)

This worked well for me as I got a 9 in history!
Reply 6

Me and my class had a pretty bad teacher for the full year 10 and so I was getting grade 5s because I was trying to write just lots of information down. However, although falling behind by one year, I achieved a grade 9 in my history GCSE by following strict structure for each question.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that your English Lit answers and History answers should differ in how you structure them. Whilst the thing you naturally want to be doing is write as much stuff as possible, you need to read the question carefully and focus more on the variety of your different points rather than making lengthy descriptions. For example, in the 12 markers whichever exam board you follow, my teacher recommended me to try for 3 paragraphs (4 if possible in case one of others aren't very strong) and keep these fairly short and not too long.

Overall, it's very important to know your knowledge but I think the main thing that makes the grade 9 students stand out from the others is how they approach and structure each question. If you want to know about specific structures, you can ask me or search up online as there are many perfect examples.
Original post by subbhy
Hi I did AQA: the modules I did were Elizabeth, germany, conflict and tension and migration

WOW!!! THAT"S SO GREATTT!!!!
and thank you so soo much for your reply!!!!
:smile:<333
Original post by fate01
Me and my class had a pretty bad teacher for the full year 10 and so I was getting grade 5s because I was trying to write just lots of information down. However, although falling behind by one year, I achieved a grade 9 in my history GCSE by following strict structure for each question.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that your English Lit answers and History answers should differ in how you structure them. Whilst the thing you naturally want to be doing is write as much stuff as possible, you need to read the question carefully and focus more on the variety of your different points rather than making lengthy descriptions. For example, in the 12 markers whichever exam board you follow, my teacher recommended me to try for 3 paragraphs (4 if possible in case one of others aren't very strong) and keep these fairly short and not too long.

Overall, it's very important to know your knowledge but I think the main thing that makes the grade 9 students stand out from the others is how they approach and structure each question. If you want to know about specific structures, you can ask me or search up online as there are many perfect examples.

This is actually very, very helpful to me!!!
Thank you loads and loads for the advice!!!!
Original post by subbhy

Original post by fate01

How did you guyz do revision??Did yall write notes or??
Reply 10

Wrote notes in class in an exercise book and then made timelines, made flashcards (nearly 1000 in total) and did past paper questions and Q’s my teachers made up
Original post by subbhy
wrote notes in class in an exercise book and then made timelines, made flashcards (nearly 1000 in total) and did past paper questions and q’s my teachers made up

thank you sooo much!!!
Reply 12

We used a lot of worksheets in order to track everything, but most importantly to take in whatever the textbook or the teacher has said and turn it into words you yourself understand because it's no use just copying down notes off the board if it's not going to stick in your mind.

Also, I found that making flashcards was very helpful for revision. For example, I would choose a specific point in a coarse and write a short summary of it, including lots of statistics such as dates. Then, I would underline or highlight those statistics and test myself on them, writing them out on a plain piece of paper and linking these numbers to their meanings (so maybe a date when somebody did something etc.)
Original post by fate01
We used a lot of worksheets in order to track everything, but most importantly to take in whatever the textbook or the teacher has said and turn it into words you yourself understand because it's no use just copying down notes off the board if it's not going to stick in your mind.

Also, I found that making flashcards was very helpful for revision. For example, I would choose a specific point in a coarse and write a short summary of it, including lots of statistics such as dates. Then, I would underline or highlight those statistics and test myself on them, writing them out on a plain piece of paper and linking these numbers to their meanings (so maybe a date when somebody did something etc.)

Thank you so much for this great effort in helping me!!!
This is absolutely helpful!!!!
: )))))
Reply 14
I'm so happy that it helps :smile:
Thank you so much for this great effort in helping me!!!
This is absolutely helpful!!!!
: )))))
Original post by fate01
I'm so happy that it helps :smile:

<3333

Quick Reply

Latest