The Student Room Group

should i apply for UCAS this year?

i’m in year 13 and planning to take a gap year after my a levels. i feel like that is the best choice since my AS grades were bad and i’m still conflicted on what to study when i go to uni. id rather focus on my a levels this year and get good grades rather than worry about uni applications because it’s hard for me to focus on both things. but most of my classmates are going to apply this year. should i tell my teachers that i’m planning to take a gap year? will they allow me to not apply this year?

i’m so worried about all this stuff
Original post by reversehermit
i’m in year 13 and planning to take a gap year after my a levels. i feel like that is the best choice since my AS grades were bad and i’m still conflicted on what to study when i go to uni. id rather focus on my a levels this year and get good grades rather than worry about uni applications because it’s hard for me to focus on both things. but most of my classmates are going to apply this year. should i tell my teachers that i’m planning to take a gap year? will they allow me to not apply this year?

i’m so worried about all this stuff

Hi there :hello:

The first thing to think about if you're considering a gap year is what you would do to fill up the year. Would you work? Would you do something beneficial to applying for uni.

A gap year is an option, but I'd say it's not a good idea to focus entirely on your exams and not think about what you'd do when you finish whether that's going to uni, entering the world of work, taking a more practical qualification, or doing something temporarily (say a job or volunteering) while waiting to start uni the next year.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Hi there :hello:

The first thing to think about if you're considering a gap year is what you would do to fill up the year. Would you work? Would you do something beneficial to applying for uni.

A gap year is an option, but I'd say it's not a good idea to focus entirely on your exams and not think about what you'd do when you finish whether that's going to uni, entering the world of work, taking a more practical qualification, or doing something temporarily (say a job or volunteering) while waiting to start uni the next year.

i already do have an idea of what i’m going to do in my gap year, i’m not entirely clueless. but am i allowed to not apply this year? because j have no idea what to write in my PS (i have done a bit of volunteering and work experience, but i’m not interested in the course i was originally planning applying to…) i know some people will apply both this year and in their gap year but am i allowed to not apply this year and only apply in my gap year?
Reply 3
i already do have an idea of what i’m going to do in my gap year, i’m not entirely clueless. but am i allowed to not apply this year? because j have no idea what to write in my PS (i have done a bit of volunteering and work experience, but i’m not interested in the course i was originally planning applying to…) i know some people will apply both this year and in their gap year but am i allowed to not apply this year and only apply in my gap year?

You can apply whenever you want. You can apply this year for a deferred place (so you start in 2025), or you can apply next year. The only problem with applying next year is that it might be more difficult to get school references, and you might not have anyone to help you with you personal statement and other bits of your application.
Original post by lalexm
You can apply whenever you want. You can apply this year for a deferred place (so you start in 2025), or you can apply next year. The only problem with applying next year is that it might be more difficult to get school references, and you might not have anyone to help you with you personal statement and other bits of your application.

should let my teacher know then? that i’m not applying this year..? help idk what to do
Reply 5
should let my teacher know then? that i’m not applying this year..? help idk what to do

Yep talk to your teachers.

Yep, ask your teachers for advice. You will almost certainly not be the first person in this situation that they've dealt with :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending