The Student Room Group

Choosing between universities

I am torn between choosing either Bournemouth or Newman University to apply too. Can anyone who goes to either tell me a little bit about what it’s like to go there and the overall feel of the place. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Hi, my names Jayden and Im in my third year studying psychology and counselling at Birmingham Newman University.

In terms of what it is like to study here, the university has a real community feel as it is much smaller than other universities. Class sizes are smaller and lectures are more interactive. It's a small campus that you can get around pretty easily in a short amout of time. We have a cafe, Starbucks and social spaces with sofas you can chill in. We also have a big library with three floors, in which you can study in. There's gym facilities on site as well as student accomadation on site.

Lecturers get to know you and support you on an individual basis. You get a personal tutor who can help support you throughout your whole tome at university if you are struggling at all and lecturers often make time to help you with understanding assignments.

You also get good student support, for mental health or disabilities, and help with improving your academic writing and understanding assignments. You also have access to an academic librarian that can help you reference and find sources.

It is number 1 for student satisfaction in the UK right now. Of course, the best uni for you is individualistic and up to you but personally I'm very happy there.

If you have any more specific questions id be more than happy to answer 🙂
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Do not go to Newman.
Its a Catholic Teacher Training College pretending to be a University - with a dire academic reputation.
Original post by DaisyMae2
I am torn between choosing either Bournemouth or Newman University to apply too. Can anyone who goes to either tell me a little bit about what it’s like to go there and the overall feel of the place. Thanks :smile:

Hi DaisyMae2!

I’m Pip, a third year television production student at BU. I chose Bournemouth because it felt the university version of my sixth form college (and I loved my college!). What I mean by that is that it felt modern, open, supportive and fun.

There’s ALWAYS (no exaggeration) something going on on campus, whether it’s free food & drinks being given out, fairs, vintage clothes sales etc you’re never bored. This mixed with Bournemouth’s local area - the beach and nightlife scene - I really think it’s a wonderful place to be for Uni. There’s really good bus services so you easy to get to campus town, and other local areas.

I didn’t even realise until recently but my year is really close compared to others as well. I highly recommend Bournemouth 🙂

Pip
Reply 4
Which course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending