The Student Room Group

manchester met or bournemouth uni

i’m struggling to decide between these two unis, i want o standby tv and media/ television production course which both of these offer but im also very into clubbing and the nightlife of these city’s, which uni is best for nightlife and will i have the most fun at.
For TV I would suggest Salford - better that MMU and based in Manchester for the nightlife.

Are these your only 2 offers?
Have you visited both?
Original post by maddie_dun
i’m struggling to decide between these two unis, i want o standby tv and media/ television production course which both of these offer but im also very into clubbing and the nightlife of these city’s, which uni is best for nightlife and will i have the most fun at.

Hi Maddie_Dun

My name is Will, I'm a BA Media Production student at Bournemouth University currently on my placement year.
It's great to hear you're looking at studying media/TV and looking at Bournemouth as a possibility.

Starting off from an academic perspective, our production based degree's are very practical. Across 6 of the units you do in an academic year, 4 of them will be practical in a variety of ways and 2 of them will be essay based which is approximately 70% to 30% Practical to Theory and they are very realistic odds! The only way they differ is the course content, our Media Production course is known for being a very versatile course covering film/tv (on location), radio, scripted, unscripted, web/social/app design, projection mapping and events and a lot of these are intertwined as well so the skills you learn from one unit may be very beneficial in another. Our TV Production course is very well known for being heavily focused on tv, particularly studio but you cover a variety of genres and formats from scripted, unscripted, live chat show and so much more! Plus there is lots of collaboration between the courses, especially during your graduate project at the end of your degree (this is instead of a dissertation!)
Also, as I mentioned at the start, I am currently on my placement year. Every course at Bournemouth have a placement aspect as part of their course, some are mandatory but most are optional and you get to choose to either do a short 4 week placement or take a year out and to a year long placement!. And this is an incredible opportunity not to miss, particularly as Bournemouth has very good relationships with the leading companies in the industry such as Sony, Universal and The Walt Disney Company. I'm doing a year long placement as a Live Action Production Management Intern at The Walt Disney Company which is going to be such an accolade in the future for my CV.

In regards to the social life in Bournemouth, there are lots of options to choose from. The most popular being Cameo which has a variety of rooms with different music tastes! There is also Halo, Walkabout, Revolution, Alt, and the student only club The Old Fire Station which is run by our student's union, SUBU. Bournemouth is also very good at clubs and societies with over 200 options, and if there is one you don't fancy joining and want to make one, then all you need is 4 other friends and to talk to SUBU. Not to mention, at the end of year academic year, we hold the BU Summer Ball which is the UK's largest student only festival and this is always great fun!

I have no doubt that you will have an amazing time at Bournemouth as I am. Also a big selling point, we have the beach!!!
I hope this helps,
Let me know if you have any other questions
Will - BU Media Production Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending