The Student Room Group

Contextual offers help

I’m going to apply for uni this year, and have been looking at my eligibility for contextual offers, given that I live on a very run down estate, in which almost nobody living here has gone to uni- but when checking my postcode eligibility, i was told i am not eligible. I believe this is because the run down area which I live is overshadowed by a posh village a short drive away. Is there anything I can do about it? Surely it’s not fair that I can’t get the contextual offer because of this. I also have ADHD so was wondering if there are any considerations in place for disabilities
Original post by gabriellamadelyn
I’m going to apply for uni this year, and have been looking at my eligibility for contextual offers, given that I live on a very run down estate, in which almost nobody living here has gone to uni- but when checking my postcode eligibility, i was told i am not eligible. I believe this is because the run down area which I live is overshadowed by a posh village a short drive away. Is there anything I can do about it? Surely it’s not fair that I can’t get the contextual offer because of this. I also have ADHD so was wondering if there are any considerations in place for disabilities

Unis set their own criteria for contextual offers so you will need to research the websites of the unis you like to see how they determine eligibility.

They have to use objective metrics, of course no system is going to be perfect and there is no way to make perfectly meritocratic process however these access points are the current process & having clear objective borders is important. Contextual offers typically just reduce the admissions requirement by 1 grade and rather then changing offer likelihood.

In addition to postcodes universities may also consider your families socioeconomic situation as well as your schools/colleges performance.

Contextual offers that are based on post code usually go on area codes eg SA1 gets the contextual offer and SA2 doesnt. You might have poorer streets or estates in SA2 but it goes on the general post code area rather than actual street post codes. As already said some universities go on schools as well and also whether you have been in care. No system will ever be perfect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending