The Student Room Group

Four A levels

I am currently in year 12 and I am doing four A levels, however I have noticed that I have kind of started to drift in passion in one of my A levels (Maths, FM, Physics, CS, I have drifted a bit from CS). I want to apply for Cambridge and I was worried that if I only do three it could affect my chances of getting in (I should mention I love maths and I want to do it at Cambridge), so should I continue to do the fourth A level, or is there no benefit to it for Cambridge specifically?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I am currently in year 12 and I am doing four A levels, however I have noticed that I have kind of started to drift in passion in one of my A levels (Maths, FM, Physics, CS, I have drifted a bit from CS). I want to apply for Cambridge and I was worried that if I only do three it could affect my chances of getting in (I should mention I love maths and I want to do it at Cambridge), so should I continue to do the fourth A level, or is there no benefit to it for Cambridge specifically?

Maybe drop CS. I think that Cambridge will still accept you if you have three A-levels if your maths result is good and your other two subjects as well
Reply 2
Maybe drop CS. I think that Cambridge will still accept you if you have three A-levels if your maths result is good and your other two subjects as well.

It slightly depends on the course you want to take at Cambridge, and you should check on the website for their A-level subject requirements and/or preferences, although you should consider this from the website: 'We’d rather applicants develop broader and deeper knowledge of the subjects most relevant/closest to their chosen course than accumulate additional A Levels.'

From here (under 'A Levels and AS Levels' drop down): https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 3

Here are the Statistics for the Engineering Tripos at Cambridge University: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2973443#

55% had 4 A-Levels.
Reply 4
Original post by thegeek888
Here are the Statistics for the Engineering Tripos at Cambridge University: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2973443#

55% had 4 A-Levels.

Engineering is not Maths - please read the OP.
Reply 5

No - 3 is fine for Maths - have you done UKMT challenges and other things outside your A levels?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending