The Student Room Group

UCAS Applications + Uni Applicant Thread Directory for 2024 **Official Thread**

Scroll to see replies

Aber thread isn’t linked in the OP, only here in the replies.
The university of south Wales words links to the Aberystwyth university thread instead of the South wales one and for Aberystwyth there’s no link.
Original post by Talkative Toad
The university of south Wales words links to the Aberystwyth university thread instead of the South wales one and for Aberystwyth there’s no link.

Thanks, we are working on linking the rest of the unis so there might be some dodgy links whilst that is being completed. It will all be checked :smile:
Original post by CamembertPaws
Thanks, we are working on linking the rest of the unis so there might be some dodgy links whilst that is being completed. It will all be checked :smile:

Ah thanks
Reply 25
I've been debating between my 5 UCAS options: Oxford, UCL/LSE, Kings, Manchester and Leeds.

\I am applying with actual results (A*A*A achieved). Personally, I feel like my grades are not as outstanding as many others, and I did not do any EPQs related to Law. However, I do have quite a lot of Music ABRSM achievements, olympiad maths competition awards, and loads of extracurriculars that are somehow not really related to Law.

I have done the LNAT, and I left feeling uncertain about my performance, but I think my essay was not as great as I wanted it to be due to the time constraint.

Do you guys have any suggestions on my 5 UCAS choices and how I can change them? I'm also particularly worried that I might be rejected from all 5 offers after seeing many students with excellent stats (even some with 30+ LNAT) get rejected from G5. My application for Oxford is unrealistic, but to be honest, I just want to give it a try rather than regret not applying in the future. Also, should I go for LSE or UCL? Your input is appreciated
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by dyrlwn
(A*A*A achieved). Personally, I feel like my grades are not as outstanding as many others,
This perspective is actually baffling to me. You were 1 grade off a perfect sweep. The only people with better grades than you are the 0.03% of the people taking A Levels that got 3 A*s (can't remember the actual statistic but it's on that scale).

Original post by dyrlwn
and I did not do any EPQs related to Law.
Don't need one

Original post by dyrlwn
However, I do have quite a lot of Music ABRSM achievements, olympiad maths competition awards, and loads of extracurriculars that are somehow not really related to Law.

I have done the LNAT, and I left feeling uncertain about my performance, but I think my essay was not as great as I wanted it to be due to the time constraint.

Do you guys have any suggestions on my 5 UCAS choices and how I can change them? I'm also particularly worried that I might be rejected from all 5 offers after seeing many students with excellent stats (even some with 30+ LNAT) get rejected from G5. My application for Oxford is unrealistic, but to be honest, I just want to give it a try rather than regret not applying in the future. Also, should I go for LSE or UCL? Your input is appreciated <3
I think you are criticising yourself for... nothing? I can't see a reason why you wouldn't have a competitive application.
Reply 27
Original post by 04MR17
This perspective is actually baffling to me. You were 1 grade off a perfect sweep. The only people with better grades than you are the 0.03% of the people taking A Levels that got 3 A*s (can't remember the actual statistic but it's on that scale).

Don't need one

I think you are criticising yourself for... nothing? I can't see a reason why you wouldn't have a competitive application.

Firstly, thanks for your reply! If that's the case, do you think I should still have oxford as one of my uni selections? Also In your opinion, between LSE and UCL, which do I have a higher chance of entering? I do know that UCL takes into consideration the LNAT essay, however, LSE's offer rates are lower than UCL's.
Original post by dyrlwn
Firstly, thanks for your reply! If that's the case, do you think I should still have oxford as one of my uni selections? Also In your opinion, between LSE and UCL, which do I have a higher chance of entering? I do know that UCL takes into consideration the LNAT essay, however, LSE's offer rates are lower than UCL's.

I don't have a crystal ball, I can't tell you what you will or won't get into. I can tell you that you have extremely competitive grades and with those being achieved grades, you should receive either unconditional offers or rejections. I would expect you to get some quick responses too. Best of luck and any problems, just shout.
Original post by dyrlwn

Just to add that even if you received 5 rejections from competiive programmes, you would pretty much have your pick of anything available via UCAS Extra with those grades.

There will always be a risk.

Why not apply to 4 choices and wait and see if you get any offers by the Jan deadline? Then you can hopefully submit your last choice knowing whether it needs to be 'safe' or not.
Reply 30
Original post by Admit-One
Just to add that even if you received 5 rejections from competiive programmes, you would pretty much have your pick of anything available via UCAS Extra with those grades.

There will always be a risk.

Why not apply to 4 choices and wait and see if you get any offers by the Jan deadline? Then you can hopefully submit your last choice knowing whether it needs to be 'safe' or not.

Thanks for your advice. Is it the same procedure if I decide to only apply for 3/4 spots now, and apply the rest in January? I have thought of this as well as using up my Extra, but would it be too risky? Is there is a chance that safer schools (not as competitive as UCL, LSE...) like Leeds or Manchester would probably have no leftover spots by January?
Reply 31
Original post by 04MR17
I don't have a crystal ball, I can't tell you what you will or won't get into. I can tell you that you have extremely competitive grades and with those being achieved grades, you should receive either unconditional offers or rejections. I would expect you to get some quick responses too. Best of luck and any problems, just shout.

I hope for the best as well, once again thanks for the advice and encouraging words!
Original post by dyrlwn
Thanks for your advice. Is it the same procedure if I decide to only apply for 3/4 spots now, and apply the rest in January?

Yes, exactly the same. You are just sending your existing application to a new choice (or choices).
Original post by dyrlwn
I have thought of this as well as using up my Extra, but would it be too risky?

As above, there will always be some risk and you determine what your appetite is. With achieved grades that is mitigated somewhat and you can afford to be a bit riskier than applying just with predictions.
Original post by dyrlwn
Is there is a chance that safer schools (not as competitive as UCL, LSE...) like Leeds or Manchester would probably have no leftover spots by January?

There is a chance some courses will close on the Jan deadline. but there is no risk-free way to apply, (which is why myself and PQ advise to leave a choice open and see if you get any decisions back). You will still have lots of options even if that happens.

Worse case, you apply to 4 early, don't get any decisions back by mid-Jan and then have to decide whether to add a 'safe' choice or just wait and see what happens.

Or put it another way, I work a at a decent uni
Reply 33
Hi all

maybe the wrong place to post but unsure where else. I'm a graduate now applying to study grad entry medicine so it's been a while since I did my UCAS for undergrad. RE entering AS levels onto UCAS, do I enter all AS levels and A levels results separately? Or do I only enter the result for the completed A level?

For example I did bio all the way through to A level, so should that be entered as just the A level?

Thanks for any help!
Original post by roobSL
Hi all

maybe the wrong place to post but unsure where else. I'm a graduate now applying to study grad entry medicine so it's been a while since I did my UCAS for undergrad. RE entering AS levels onto UCAS, do I enter all AS levels and A levels results separately? Or do I only enter the result for the completed A level?

For example I did bio all the way through to A level, so should that be entered as just the A level?

Thanks for any help!

There’s a grad entry applicant thread for 2024 entry here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7126853
Does anyone know if there is maths thread for maths applicatants for 2024? I can’t seem to find the official one
Hi. Is there a physics thread please?
Original post by Uni2024N
Does anyone know if there is maths thread for maths applicatants for 2024? I can’t seem to find the official one

I've just made one if you want to be the first poster :smile::

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7408892
Original post by Anonymous4728!
Hi. Is there a physics thread please?

There is now :smile: - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7408895
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending