The Student Room Group

Wish I made a better impression

Did some volunteering for the very first time at a place I think is amazing and I seriously wanted to do a good job, but I am so shy.

I carried out the tasks just fine, but I think I just realised I made a horrible impression, by not being good at small talk. Ugh. I'm a bit devastated.
Reply 1
Original post by SawayamaFan
Did some volunteering for the very first time at a place I think is amazing and I seriously wanted to do a good job, but I am so shy.

I carried out the tasks just fine, but I think I just realised I made a horrible impression, by not being good at small talk. Ugh. I'm a bit devastated.

Be good to yourself, you pushed yourself and you cant get better at small talk without small steps. This sounds like a great step in the right direction.

Seperate fact from opinion, you dont know how they perceived you. People dont care as much about you as you do yourself (true for all of us). Even if they did think you were really shy, most people would assume this was because it is a new job, and most people are not themselves until they feel comfortable and get to know others.

Well done on getting over a scary first hurdle.

Greg
Original post by SawayamaFan

Hiya,

First of all, well done for putting yourself out there! I understand how hard it can be especially if you're a particularly shy/introverted person. Secondly, most people are not good at small talk, small talk is a skill you learn from being out in the world and experiencing different things and it sounds to me like you're already out there honing that skill :smile:

By putting yourself out there and taking the initiative to volunteer and interact with people, you're practicing small talk, so don't worry if you don't have it all figured out. Focus on you and what you want to get out of volunteering and the interactions you have with people and small talk will come easier to you and more natural. Practice makes perfect, so don't give up, especially if you're passionate about what you're doing and you enjoy volunteering!

I wish you the best of luck!

-Ghala
(Official DU Rep)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending