The Student Room Group

Official Year 10 Chat 2023-24

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *LifeHappens*
I'm not doing so bad, I'm on top of all the things I'm studying and I'm pretty happy with my progress in exams so far. I'm making an effort to do things outside of just academics like the dofe award, so I'm doing that too.

For us, our cpg comes out sometime during December too because by that time teachers would have a good idea of progress and what grades we are expected to have.

I wanted to do DofE but unfortunately I just don’t have enough time (I do a lot of sport and play D&D). Do you get to hike anywhere fun for your expedition?
Keeping on top of things as we go will be the key to not feeling overwhelmed I think. I can’t imagine not making notes etc as I go and having to do it all at the end. I’d have a meltdown haha. Mine are all digital too so I can add to them and update as needed.
Original post by RandomOneOhOne
I wanted to do DofE but unfortunately I just don’t have enough time (I do a lot of sport and play D&D). Do you get to hike anywhere fun for your expedition?
Keeping on top of things as we go will be the key to not feeling overwhelmed I think. I can’t imagine not making notes etc as I go and having to do it all at the end. I’d have a meltdown haha. Mine are all digital too so I can add to them and update as needed.

Ohh, yeah a lot of people in my school wanted to do it, however it was either oversubscribed or they were busy. We don't have many details yet of our expedition, but we have a training day where we get more info on how to do it and stuff - I'm doing silver, so I'll be going for 2 nights and 3 days.

I agree, there were times when I felt super overwhelmed and stressed, because I couldn't or didn't know how to handle my revision, but right now I'm able to manage my time properly enough (but it might also be because I don't have any more exams for the next few weeks).

Some of my revision like for geography is digital so that I can edit my notes as we do more work in lessons and some of my revision like for science is written down notes - but I think it depends on what subject it is and what method is more effective for the person.
Ohh, yeah a lot of people in my school wanted to do it, however it was either oversubscribed or they were busy. We don't have many details yet of our expedition, but we have a training day where we get more info on how to do it and stuff - I'm doing silver, so I'll be going for 2 nights and 3 days.

I agree, there were times when I felt super overwhelmed and stressed, because I couldn't or didn't know how to handle my revision, but right now I'm able to manage my time properly enough (but it might also be because I don't have any more exams for the next few weeks).

Some of my revision like for geography is digital so that I can edit my notes as we do more work in lessons and some of my revision like for science is written down notes - but I think it depends on what subject it is and what method is more effective for the person.

That sounds so fun, I love camping. Although I’ve not had to do it with carrying all my stuff around. I’d like to try and do a hike and camp on Dartmoor in the summer with my mum but it all depends on how busy things get.

Yes I have some digital and some written or on flash cards. I tend to type up a lot of my written class stuff so I can add and edit as I go along and it works better for me. Except french, I write all of that out as I remember it better. I write more stuff by hand when I do practice questions so I know I can actually do it in the time allowed. Achey hands though! I need to get a better pen I think
That sounds so fun, I love camping. Although I’ve not had to do it with carrying all my stuff around. I’d like to try and do a hike and camp on Dartmoor in the summer with my mum but it all depends on how busy things get.

Yes I have some digital and some written or on flash cards. I tend to type up a lot of my written class stuff so I can add and edit as I go along and it works better for me. Except french, I write all of that out as I remember it better. I write more stuff by hand when I do practice questions so I know I can actually do it in the time allowed. Achey hands though! I need to get a better pen I think

Yea I'm looking forward to it, because I haven't gone camping before, it might be really enjoyable for me.

Yeah for me I prefer to write things down when I need to memorise or practice questions + responses, although it feels very time-consuming if I'm not feeling very motivated on that day.

Oh lol, I get what you're saying! Sometimes, if my hands hurt a lot I just say my answer out loud and then check to see if it's correct or not - for me, I really love the zebra z-grip pens, they work well and I can also check to see how much ink there is in case if it's running out. I think the papermate pens are good too
Yea I'm looking forward to it, because I haven't gone camping before, it might be really enjoyable for me.

Yeah for me I prefer to write things down when I need to memorise or practice questions + responses, although it feels very time-consuming if I'm not feeling very motivated on that day.

Oh lol, I get what you're saying! Sometimes, if my hands hurt a lot I just say my answer out loud and then check to see if it's correct or not - for me, I really love the zebra z-grip pens, they work well and I can also check to see how much ink there is in case if it's running out. I think the papermate pens are good too

Thanks I will have to try the zebra ones, they look pretty good. I’ve just been using bog standard biros and if you are writing a lot under timed conditions they are not the most comfortable!
Guys a bit of good news I have to share!

So basically, English lit is NOT my strong suit. I was terrible at it in year 8 and year 9 and making thesis statements was SO difficult. Physics isn't either and i average around 40-30 % normally.

But recently I got my English lit results back and I did surprisingly good! I got a 23/30 which was a HUGE shock to me as I struggled with the paper so badly, I also got 26/35 in my physics paper which i literally couldn't believe. I think its cuz I FINALLY knuckled down and took them seriously for once.

It is something I need to be doing as I really want to be a doctor and it's so competitive even with the really high expectations.

Good luck with all your subjects!!
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Coffeemetro

So basically, English lit is NOT my strong suit. I was terrible at it in year 8 and year 9 and making thesis statements was SO difficult. Physics isn't either and i average around 40-30 % normally.

But recently I got my English lit results back and I did surprisingly good! I got a 23/30 which was a HUGE shock to me as I struggled with the paper so badly, I also got 26/35 in my physics paper which i literally couldn't believe. I think its cuz I FINALLY knuckled down and took them seriously for once.

It is something I need to be doing as I really want to be a doctor and it's so competitive even with the really high expectations.

Well done you!
That’s amazing. Hard work is always worth the rewards. These things are good to hear to remind us all.

That's epic! Well done, you must have put so much effort to get those grades :smile:
Reply 68
Hi. Yr 10 isn't going particularly as I'd hoped. Anyone else in the same boat? I feel super behind on all my subjects (we covered quite a lot of GCSE content in Yr9, particularly for the sciences) and I feel really overwhelmed by how behind I am - although, I have none to blame but myself, and so I must bear the brunt of the consequences of my inaction.
Original post by K...,
Hi. Yr 10 isn't going particularly as I'd hoped. Anyone else in the same boat? I feel super behind on all my subjects (we covered quite a lot of GCSE content in Yr9, particularly for the sciences) and I feel really overwhelmed by how behind I am - although, I have none to blame but myself, and so I must bear the brunt of the consequences of my inaction.

Nah mate I feel the same thing too, we did a third of our science gcse in year 9 (which I find stupid, we were literally only 13-14) don't feel down though, you can turn your grades around with hard work and I BELIEVE IN YOU :smile:
Reply 70
Nah mate I feel the same thing too, we did a third of our science gcse in year 9 (which I find stupid, we were literally only 13-14) don't feel down though, you can turn your grades around with hard work and I BELIEVE IN YOU :smile:

Appreciate it. Means a lot. We'll get through this together, then. A bit difficult to see success in sight though because I feel like everyday I just dig myself deeper and deeper into this hole regarding lesson content, because I know I should be reviewing current stuff but at the same time past stuff - and then I make myself stuck.

Also noticed you wrote about wanting to become a doctor - although I'm not entirely certain yet, I believe I'll be heading towards that pathway too (if I can work smart + hard). Cool!
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by K...,

Try not to stress out too much! Remember it is only November, there is plenty of time before the actual exams and I’m sure your teachers will make sure you have covered everything.

Try and make your own notes as you go along. You can do it! We are all here to support each other.
Reply 72
Try not to stress out too much! Remember it is only November, there is plenty of time before the actual exams and I’m sure your teachers will make sure you have covered everything.

Try and make your own notes as you go along. You can do it! We are all here to support each other.

Thank you. I really appreciate the reassurance.
Original post by K...,

Yea I get you. For me since starting year 10, there's been a lot of ups and downs - at some points I'm doing great, at other points I'm overwhelmed.

But hey, the best way to catch up is to leave yourself a few hours in the weekend to get your revision together and get organised (like make your revision resources or understand the content) and once you've done that you will feel miles better.

Keep going and keep telling yourself that whatever revision you'll do now is helping you get one step further each time - because a lot of people just leave revision to year 11 last-minute, but you're thinking about it now, so you're doing good. Give it a few months, and you'll be right on track to doing well. :smile:
Reply 74
Yea I get you. For me since starting year 10, there's been a lot of ups and downs - at some points I'm doing great, at other points I'm overwhelmed.

But hey, the best way to catch up is to leave yourself a few hours in the weekend to get your revision together and get organised (like make your revision resources or understand the content) and once you've done that you will feel miles better.

Keep going and keep telling yourself that whatever revision you'll do now is helping you get one step further each time - because a lot of people just leave revision to year 11 last-minute, but you're thinking about it now, so you're doing good. Give it a few months, and you'll be right on track to doing well. :smile:

Thank you so much for the advice. All I have to do is put the work in then & hopefully I'll be alright. Got to beat my arch nemesis procrastination in the process though.

Everyone here is so supportive - thank you and everyone else who replied for taking the time out to respond to me. It really does mean a lot. Hope you all are successful in your GCSE journey & that we all acquire the results we aspire to get.
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone,
My name is Emmanuella from London going into Year 13 this September 2023, but I have made this thread because I have sat GCSEs before - so i promise most of the feelings and worries you have I would've also had during Year 10! but we are here to support and uplift each other during this year of secondary education - you can do this okay?!

here are a few icebreaker questions to introduce yourself:

1) name and where you are from
2) what subjects you are taking at GCSE
3) the grades you are hoping to get in Year 11
4) the latest netflix show/movie you've watched
5) your go-to positive/motivational quote or affirmation

Hi I am Aisha and from Saudi. I am taking arabic, spanish, history, geo, business. I want to get grade 9 in yr 11. I watched juman recently and I find sheikh Mohamed bin Rashid quotes inspirational and coco channels
Reply 76
Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone,
My name is Emmanuella from London going into Year 13 this September 2023, but I have made this thread because I have sat GCSEs before - so i promise most of the feelings and worries you have I would've also had during Year 10! but we are here to support and uplift each other during this year of secondary education - you can do this okay?!

here are a few icebreaker questions to introduce yourself:

1) name and where you are from
2) what subjects you are taking at GCSE
3) the grades you are hoping to get in Year 11
4) the latest netflix show/movie you've watched
5) your go-to positive/motivational quote or affirmation

Hey, do you know how to revise for History? I'm doing CIE IGCSE History which is hard to find resources on.
Reply 77
I have a question regarding History too.

I'm doing Edexcel, & one of the topics is Early Elizabethan England 1558-88. Does anyone know how specific the questions can get if you're doing the same?

For example, a possible key features Q could be 'Describe 2 key features of Elizabeth's government', but do you think they'd ask something like 'Describe 2 key features of the role of the House of Lords in shaping legislation during Elizabethan England.', which requiring covering the content way more in-depth?

Struggling on deciding how to format notes for this too due to this confusion regarding how much detail I need to go into.

Thanks.
Original post by K...,
I have a question regarding History too.

I'm doing Edexcel, & one of the topics is Early Elizabethan England 1558-88. Does anyone know how specific the questions can get if you're doing the same?

For example, a possible key features Q could be 'Describe 2 key features of Elizabeth's government', but do you think they'd ask something like 'Describe 2 key features of the role of the House of Lords in shaping legislation during Elizabethan England.', which requiring covering the content way more in-depth?

Struggling on deciding how to format notes for this too due to this confusion regarding how much detail I need to go into.

Thanks.

Hi, I don't do gcse history, however maybe see whether the specification is helpful in any way. Also see if during lessons, your teacher emphasises any particular bits of content because that might indicate what may be important
Reply 79
Hi, I don't do gcse history, however maybe see whether the specification is helpful in any way. Also see if during lessons, your teacher emphasises any particular bits of content because that might indicate what may be important

Thank you for taking the time out to reply, I'll do that.

Quick Reply

Latest