The Student Room Group

Official Year 10 Chat 2023-24

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emm4nuella
Hello everyone,
My name is Emmanuella from London going into Year 13 this September 2023, but I have made this thread because I have sat GCSEs before - so i promise most of the feelings and worries you have I would've also had during Year 10! but we are here to support and uplift each other during this year of secondary education - you can do this okay?!

here are a few icebreaker questions to introduce yourself:

1) name and where you are from
2) what subjects you are taking at GCSE
3) the grades you are hoping to get in Year 11
4) the latest netflix show/movie you've watched
5) your go-to positive/motivational quote or affirmation

Hi my name is Azi from Birmingham
I'm taking Food ,French ,Geography, Art, Maths ,English ,science.
I'm hoping to get a grade 5 in maths and science but 6 in my other subjects in year 11
The latest movie I've watched is Migration
my go to quote is Don't cry over boys and I'm not Toxic they are.
Hello Year 10s,
I have good news ☺️! if you are a fellow bookworm 📕 like me, you can now vote for the book club's february book of the month! press the link :smile: now to vote! hope to also see some of you get involved with our book club this month ❤️
(edited 2 months ago)
hello everyone, not too late to get involved with the tsr study live together sessions officially launching tomorrow at 4:30pm 🥳🎉! you can click here to find out more! come and represent either team stem or team humanities during the study sessions! can't wait to see you there :biggrin:! ❤️ i'll be there to encourage you and hype you up :smile:
Hello everyone,
My name is Emmanuella from London going into Year 13 this September 2023, but I have made this thread because I have sat GCSEs before - so i promise most of the feelings and worries you have I would've also had during Year 10! but we are here to support and uplift each other during this year of secondary education - you can do this okay?!

heyy
i'm taking
french
geography
computer science
drama
hpq
& compulsories, triple science
GOING FOR ALL 9s 🔥‼
not netflix but i'm re-watching so awkward 😭
"shoot for the moon, for even if you miss you'll land among the stars"
(edited 2 months ago)
Hey everyone,

Here are a few things you can do now on TSR:

Test your news knowledge with the quiz of the week!

Share your opinion on what the meaning of life is

Happy TSRing! :biggrin:,
Emmanuella 🎀
Reply 125
Hello everyone,

Hi I'm in year 10 and I am taking English Maths History Art welsh and a few others. Is anyone doing GCSE . We have just had our exam topics and I have chosen tell your story. Can someone help me with what artists to research for this topic thankyou your help is much appreciated
Hello everyone,

hey!

i'm mila and live in london (but from poland and sri lanka)

i'm taking the english lang+lit, maths and combined science (hoping to move up to triple!) as well as...

music

history

divinity (RS)

french

and polish outside of school

i hope to get 8-9 in most subjects and minimum lowest of 7 on those i find hardest.

i don't have netflix but i'm watching gossip girl on iplayer!

though i personally don't use this quote, i like how it rolls off the tongue!:
"if you want to buy without looking at the price, you have to work with out looking at the clock"
Hey everybody!!

I would like to know what is your best way to organise and plan out your revision when it comes to exams!! you can let me know here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7448851!

thanks,
Emmanuella ⭐️
hello everyone, if you like books - then a book quiz may be your thing 🤯! this week's round is 'classic books', so get involved!

you can play the quiz NOW with this link and let us know your scores here 👀: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7449763!

thanks all,
emmanuella 🎀
Hello everyone,

Hi! I'm Harry and I live in Gravesend and in year 10,
The subjects i'm currently taking are: Food (4),French(REALLY 9),Combined Science (idk),Photography(4),Geography (4),Maths (5) and English (either 6 or 7).
I am hoping to get a decent grade in every subject except french as i really want to get top grades as i want to become a secondary teacher! The last movie i have watched was The super mario bros movie (10/10). My quote is always "Everyone be a hero, never fail!"
how is year 10 going so far (if you have started!)!
Going so-so for me
hey everyone :heart:! here are some things that you can get involved with on TSR:

1) tell us what you think the biggest challenges facing our society are NOW in the TSR Big Discussion!
2) if you like your books, you can now leave suggestions here for the TSR Book Club's March Book of the Month!
3) if philosophy is more your thing, you could tell us what you think the meaning of life is!
4) if you have come across a good news story recently, please share it here!

excited to see you guys contributing on the threads! have a nice day <3! :heart::lovedup:
can someone make a snapchat groupchat so we can all discuss our thoughts and make friends. i can also help as got pretty good gces :smile:
Hello year 10!
Hope you're all doing great!
Im Erin and im in y13 doing French, History and politics - just wanted to pop in and let you know about a thread I've set up to share revision methods, help guide your revision or discover some new revision techniques that you've perhaps not tried before - would be fab if you came along! :biggrin:
TSR Asks...what are your favourite ways to revise?
Hello everyone,
hiya, my name is Xin and I am from Manchester!!
I'm taking 9 gcse subjects: triple science, spanish, higher maths, eng lit+lang, history (I really want a 9 in this along with chem), and health and social
I want 7+ for all of them but maths and physics. I want a 6 in both of them !!
the latest netflix show I watched was this kdrama called 'My Demon'
My quote would be one that I got from a fortune cookie lmao
"your determination will bring you success."
Hey Year 10s, reminder that you can still play this week's Book Quiz (closes on Sat 23rd March) - rep prizes to be won!! :biggrin: TSR Book Quiz #3: 16th March 2024 📕 - The Student Room
Hi everyone! I'm a newcomer to tsr, so hope I'm not too late in the academic year
1) My nickname's Ash and I'm from London
2) Physics, Chemistry, Biology, French, Computer Science, Geography, Religious Studies (No, my school didn't force the subject upon me 😅 I voluntarily chose it), Maths, English Lit & Lang
3) All 8s and 9s sound great, but I want to work hard enough (code language for procrastination being a pain) to get all 9s
4) I don't have netflix, but last week I watched Kung Fu Panda 4 in the cinemas with a couple of friends
5) I realise what a lack of motivational quotes I've got (explains the procrastination😨) so Gandalf's words will suffice: “All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you”
I wanted to ask how long / often @emm4nuella you studied for each subject in year 10 per week.
It would be great if other yr10s could share how they revise for different subjects.
Eg) I haven't started making flashcards for any subjects yet but I'm wondering whether it's actually useful and practical (will I spend more time making them than actually using them?)
Thanks!
Original post by BraveWarrior731
I wanted to ask how long / often @emm4nuella you studied for each subject in year 10 per week.
It would be great if other yr10s could share how they revise for different subjects.
Eg) I haven't started making flashcards for any subjects yet but I'm wondering whether it's actually useful and practical (will I spend more time making them than actually using them?)
Thanks!

that's a good point! if you want to make flashcards, i recommend you dedicate time after the lesson/at home after you learn a new concept! but you have plenty of time - if you cannot find time to learn the flashcards during the school year, you have the whole summer holidays :biggrin:!
Original post by BraveWarrior731
Thanks!

My main revision technique for content heavy subjects relies on using the specification as a way to make sure I cover all the content I need to know.

Usually, for flashcards I recommend only making them for subjects where you either don't need to know a lot of content (like english is essay-based so your flashcards could include the main quotes + analysis) or making them for subjects in which you struggle with learning the content. I don't really suggest using flashcards for every single subject unless if you have a lot of time on your hands or if you really struggle with a lot of subjects, sometimes for some subjects like geography case studies I use mindmaps or for languages you could use quizlet for vocabulary as languages are more skill-based subjects.

If you are looking to make the least amount of flashcards and save time then you only need to make them for sub-topics that come up a lot in exams (like some triple content topics) or sub-topics which have lots of info you struggle to learn. In that case you could form them into exam-style questions so that your answers will be more applied for example for biology organisation topic I could put a question asking myself to evaluate the uses of statins and stents instead of just listing the pros and cons so that I become used to the exam-style way of thinking. But, obviously, on the back of my flashcard I would write my answer in bullet points and in short phrases so that I don't have too much to memorise.

I also recommend utilising past papers to test yourself after you've covered the content to see if there's any topics you could get more coverage in. PMT and MME revise also have good question papers if you need extra practice in maths or science.

Quick Reply

Latest