The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

[Official thread] Durham University 2024 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by islashiner1
I have got an offer to study PPE and I need to decide on my order of preference for the colleges.
I was wondering on what basis do the colleges decide who gets to go to their college.
For example for oversubscribed colleges like University (Castle) College, will they look at our achieved/ predicted grades to decide, or is it first- come- first- served?
I have not made my decision yet, but I am going to wait until after the offer- holder day, when I will have the chance to visit the colleges. Would you filling out the college preference form ASAP if it is a first- come- first- serve basis?

It’s not first come first served. They don’t say anything about looking at your grades. They do it in random order after the deadline, look at first choices and see if they can match it up trying to get an even spread of students’ subjects at each college. Then they mix them up again and do it for second choices and so on. A surprising amount don’t rank their preference!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Is anyone still waiting to hear for physics?
Got rejected for law with a 32 LNAT, 3 A* predicted & A in EPQ, 7s 8s and 9s at GCSE, 1 month of work exp, loads of extra + super curriculars. Reason was LNAT essay which is ridiculous as I structured my essay to fit with what Durham say they are looking for on their website and was very pleased with my essay.
Original post by Anonymous #106
Got rejected for law with a 32 LNAT, 3 A* predicted & A in EPQ, 7s 8s and 9s at GCSE, 1 month of work exp, loads of extra + super curriculars. Reason was LNAT essay which is ridiculous as I structured my essay to fit with what Durham say they are looking for on their website and was very pleased with my essay.

Whatttt 😭 nooo I'm so sorry...that's insane.
Original post by Coeoe
Whatttt 😭 nooo I'm so sorry...that's insane.
ikr, didnt apply to any london unis due to the cost so im going to the university of york instead - from what i've seen the uni u go to doesnt affect anything as long as its considered "good", but rather its the quality of the candidate which counts, and the opportunities for solicitors in the commercial sector which york provides is seriously impressive. i could actually go on about how good york is and how much it prepares you for getting a tc at a top law firm so im not that disappointed even if i did deserve a place at durham
Original post by Anonymous #106
ikr, didnt apply to any london unis due to the cost so im going to the university of york instead - from what i've seen the uni u go to doesnt affect anything as long as its considered "good", but rather its the quality of the candidate which counts, and the opportunities for solicitors in the commercial sector which york provides is seriously impressive. i could actually go on about how good york is and how much it prepares you for getting a tc at a top law firm so im not that disappointed even if i did deserve a place at durham

Yes York is great too! I've just been told from other threads that at the end of the day, it's the quality of the applicant that really matters to firms. They don't really care which uni you attended. You'll do fine anywhere :smile:
Be careful of saying you deserve a place somewhere 😭 from my experience of stalking other pages... ppl like to bash haha
But I can't deny that your stats are insane... I almost feel guilty for getting an offer 😭😭 my stats are nowhere near yours LOL
Anyways, best of luck with your future endeavours! You'll be fine and will excel anywhere :wink:

Actually, they may have even rejected you because they thought you'd definitely get into better unis and firm those unis. I suppose Durham isn't often chosen as the firm uni and is mostly chosen as an insurance choice, or even declined so...
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Anonymous #104
I’ve got an offer for ancient history but I’ve not found like anyone doing it pahaha anyone doing it this year?

I have an offer for ancient history!! will you firm durham?
Original post by Anonymous #107
I have an offer for ancient history!! will you firm durham?

Yes! I visited yesterday and I’m firming on Monday!
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by Susieq55
It’s not first come first served. They don’t say anything about looking at your grades. They do it in random order after the deadline, look at first choices and see if they can match it up trying to get an even spread of students’ subjects at each college. Then they mix them up again and do it for second choices and so on. A surprising amount don’t rank their preference!

hii may I ask when is the deadline for filling in preferences? thankyou!
Original post by moranacaine

I think it's April! It should be in the email they sent you about college preferences.... Let me go look:

"We encourage all applicants to rank their college preferences. If you choose not to rank your colleges, we'll allocate your preliminary membership at random when college allocation begins from April 2024. You can re-rank your colleges to change the order of your preferences as many times as you want before we begin to allocate colleges."

Sooo I'm assuming before April? Which is...soon 😄 oh actually it says "from April" so ahhh I'm not too sure either sorry 😞
(edited 3 weeks ago)
Original post by moranacaine

Hiya,

Applicants have until the week commencing the 29th April and you can alter your ranking preferences up until the allocation process begins.
Expressing a Preference - Undergraduate - Durham University

-Ghala
Original post by milliewalkerxx
Yes! I visited yesterday and I’m firming on Monday!
im thinking of firming too! between durham and kcl atm, should defo get in touch if we both end up going :smile:
Original post by Susieq55

do you know is your allocated one most likely the one you end up in once your place is confirmed or is it just for they own procedure etc? also do you only get allocated one in April one you've firmed or insured durham or is it for every offer holder?
do you know is your allocated one most likely the one you end up in once your place is confirmed or is it just for they own procedure etc? also do you only get allocated one in April one you've firmed or insured durham or is it for every offer holder?

Lots of people get reallocated after results day, particularly for the more popular college choices and even if you firm and meet or exceed all the criteria for retaining the prov allocation (ie: DU being firm choice, meeting or exceeding the grades of entry / offer etc).
All colleges have their benefits and short-comings so best not to get too hung up on your first choice (or indeed the prov allocation). Good luck!
when do we find out what college we are allocated to?
Original post by username_66
im thinking of firming too! between durham and kcl atm, should defo get in touch if we both end up going :smile:

I’d love that yeah!! I’ve firmed today 😁 let me know if you pick Durham too!

Hiya,

You will receive what we call a Preliminary Allocation first and is done in preparation for results day. After results day you will receive a final allocation and it is subject to change, so it could be the same college or you may be allocated a different college.
Expressing a Preference - Undergraduate - Durham University

You can find out more on the allocation process through the link 🙂

Hope this helps!

-Ghala
Hi do I have to firm/insure before submitting preferences and being allocated a college, or can I wait and see which one I get allocated before deciding? Thanks !
Original post by Sasperilla32
Hi do I have to firm/insure before submitting preferences and being allocated a college, or can I wait and see which one I get allocated before deciding? Thanks !

You can wait and see where you allocated before you firm/insurance :smile:
has anyone who has applied to durhams foundation course not heard anything yet?? im majorly stressing lol.

Quick Reply

Latest