The Student Room Group

Which medical schools should I apply to?

Just sat my UCAT;
I got 2720 total and B2
VR: 620
DM: 650
QR: 840
AR: 610
Predicted: A*A*A
Was thinking of applying to St. George's, Southampton, maybe KMMS as a safe option are these choices viable?
Thank you 😊

Scroll to see replies

Original post by yonoice
Just sat my UCAT;
I got 2720 total and B2
VR: 620
DM: 650
QR: 840
AR: 610
Predicted: A*A*A
Was thinking of applying to St. George's, Southampton, maybe KMMS as a safe option are these choices viable?
Thank you 😊

are you contextual? if not, southampton would be very risky as last year's cutoff was 2810. what are your gcse grades, as kmms contextualise your gcse performance to the average performance of your school. sgul looks fine.
Reply 2
Original post by reubenn05
are you contextual? if not, southampton would be very risky as last year's cutoff was 2810. what are your gcse grades, as kmms contextualise your gcse performance to the average performance of your school. sgul looks fine.

My GCSEs were 2 9s 5 8s 2 7s
Reply 3
Original post by yonoice
My GCSEs were 2 9s 5 8s 2 7s

Which medical schools do u think are good to apply at..
Reply 4

Do you know where to find cut off statistics I can't seem to find them
Reply 5
Yeah I think I might reconsider Southampton..what abt HYMS?
Original post by yonoice
Do you know where to find cut off statistics I can't seem to find them

looking through the 2023 threads on here, some unis publish them
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by yonoice
Yeah I think I might reconsider Southampton..what abt HYMS?

hyms you score below last year's cutoff, as they score 8s and 9s differently, and due to band 2
Original post by yonoice
Which medical schools do u think are good to apply at..

edge hill, liverpool. what subjects were your 7s in?
Reply 9
edge hill, liverpool. what subjects were your 7s in?

7 in English language and Spanish
Original post by yonoice
7 in English language and Spanish

have you considered doing the bmat
Reply 11
have you considered doing the bmat

I am not really interested in doing another admissions test lol the UCAT itself was traumatizing.. do u think the score is that low for application..
Reply 12
Original post by yonoice
I am not really interested in doing another admissions test lol the UCAT itself was traumatizing.. do u think the score is that low for application..

I was thinking I stood a good chance at maybe Plymouth or UEA ig not..
Reply 13
Original post by yonoice

Your score is good, good job!! If I were you I’d try to access those charts people have made on tsr saying the ucat cut offs for each uni and applying strategically
Original post by yonoice
I was thinking I stood a good chance at maybe Plymouth or UEA ig not..

plymouth was 2680 last year, which rose from 2610, so it may be worth a shot, but may be risky as well. for uea the cutoff was 2710 and is likely to rise again.
Original post by yonoice

it's not a low score, it's over 200 above average ! it's just that ucat cut offs are rising year on year, making certain previously lower ucat cut off unis now more risky for your score
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by yonoice

fairs. what volunteering/work experience/paid work do you have?
Reply 17
fairs. what volunteering/work experience/paid work do you have?

I have done a lot of volunteering and work experience;
Volunteered as a patient companion at the hospital for 1 year
Volunteered as a ward clerk at a Hospice for 1 year
Shadowed a consultant urological surgeon and team at the hospital for a week
Work experience at a GP surgery for a week helping and learning about all the departments
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 18
It's just after all the work I have put in a gap year would not be ideal..btw my predicted are A*A*A
Reply 19
Ik Keele and Sunderland are usually popular choices for lower UCAT scores but they require a form known as Roles and responsibilities form as part of their application which is another burden seeing as I already have my personal statement kinda ready..
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending