The Student Room Group

med school application

hi! i scored 40 points on my IB (with bio and chem at higher level and a 7 and 6 in each respectively) with a 2800 UCAT score and band 2. i'm applying to med school in the UK with achieved grades and as a home student, where should i be applying? i'd love to apply to manchester and qmul as aspirations, but not sure where to apply as safeties (possibly kent)
Original post by wonwoooo
hi! i scored 40 points on my IB (with bio and chem at higher level and a 7 and 6 in each respectively) with a 2800 UCAT score and band 2. i'm applying to med school in the UK with achieved grades and as a home student, where should i be applying? i'd love to apply to manchester and qmul as aspirations, but not sure where to apply as safeties (possibly kent)

The newer medical schools (like KMMS) tend to be the most competitive ones. In reality there is no longer such a thing as a "safety" medical school. They're all extremely competitive and all viewed equally by the GMC (and NHS, who blind recruiters from your medical school to ensure no bias anyway). So don't make assumptions about which may or may not be more or less competitive.

You need to look at the specific shortlisting methodologies for each medical school and determine which ones you have the strongest profile for to maximise your chances of an interview. Medical schools in the UK are extremely transparent about their requirements and shortlisting methodologies and you can usually figure out how you would be scored even before applying, and make some informed decisions based on previous year cutoffs and similar.

Original post by medicine2024e
-

It's against the TSR terms of use to invite others to offsite social media platforms, for safeguarding reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending