The Student Room Group

Is it bad to take all essay based alevels?

For my sixth form applications, I’ve chosen English/geography/philosophy/economics, which are all essay based I believe. I’m quite worried I’ll get tired of writing essays early on as I have no maths or sciences. I do plan on dropping one at the end of y12 and only continuing with 3, but I’m still concerned that I should mix up the subjects a bit more.

It’s not like I’m bad at maths or science, I’m actually probably slightly better at them but I just can’t see myself doing it for alevel as they’re known for being immensely difficult
Original post by zziawoo
For my sixth form applications, I’ve chosen English/geography/philosophy/economics, which are all essay based I believe. I’m quite worried I’ll get tired of writing essays early on as I have no maths or sciences. I do plan on dropping one at the end of y12 and only continuing with 3, but I’m still concerned that I should mix up the subjects a bit more.

It’s not like I’m bad at maths or science, I’m actually probably slightly better at them but I just can’t see myself doing it for alevel as they’re known for being immensely difficult

All A Levels are difficult. It is just a matter of perspective. Personally, I find english harder than biology.
Just follow your passion
Original post by zziawoo

Geography is essay based, but there is also maths involved, you have to do statistics tests and stuff. Some universities do class geography as a science, I'm not sure if this is helpful, but it may help give an idea of what geography is like.
Reply 3
Original post by zziawoo
For my sixth form applications, I’ve chosen English/geography/philosophy/economics, which are all essay based I believe. I’m quite worried I’ll get tired of writing essays early on as I have no maths or sciences. I do plan on dropping one at the end of y12 and only continuing with 3, but I’m still

Hi I am going into year 13 and I have friends who do all essay subjects and they still enjoy all of them. If you really enjoy those four subjects then I think you should be fine as they are quite different content wise. However, if you know you want to go to university I would recommend looking at the typical entry requirements for the subject you want to study as that might help you pick which A-levels you need :smile:
I did all essay subjects but it wasn't too much. All a levels are hard, but doing subjects you enjoy will make that worth it. Furthermore, the essay styles needed for different subjects are very different, so you won't be doing the same thing all the time in any case!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest