The Student Room Group

A-level English Literature Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hi guys! i’m writing my english NEA about how women are presented in the great gatsby and a streetcar named desire and i need to include a bit about authorial intent. my point is that they are presented as single faceted/ one dimentional (they are fixted on their own ideal of a happy marriage, and always sticks to their abusive husbands). but what is the purpose of this? what is the function of daisy's and stella's characters? what are the authors trying to achieve my presenting them this way? are the authors trying to make a point about how women should behave?? or to criticise society? or...? and why???
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by martha318
Original post by staticsocks
hi! im gia, and i'm in year 12!:colonhash:
What exam board are you with? i'm doing ocr english lit, and we're looking at a doll's house, dracula, the bloody chamber, hamlet, and i think streetcar and rebecca!
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course? i absolutely adore the gothic and looking at deeper meanings and societal subtexts behind pieces of literature!! also the realism behind characters
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course? using terminology and integrating them into my essays and analysing structure is definitely something i need to work on- any tips would be appreciated! i can go on for days about context and symbolism but sometimes my A02 falls a bit short :thumbsdown:

Spoiler

hey !! i'm a bit late but i'm currently in year 13 doing ocr lit too (also applying for english at uni lol) - i also study bloody chamber, hamlet and streetcar if you need any help/advice on those :smile: !!

are you doing gothic? I'm really struggling with that as I wasn't really taught it since we had a terrible teacher in year 12 and I'm currently on a B/C so I'd appreciate any tips
Reply 42
Original post by eenie_49
hi guys! i’m writing my english NEA about how women are presented in the great gatsby and a streetcar named desire and i need to include a bit about authorial intent. my point is that they are presented as single faceted/ one dimentional (they are fixted on their own ideal of a happy marriage, and always sticks to their abusive husbands). but what is the purpose of this? what is the function of daisy's and stella's characters? what are the authors trying to achieve my presenting them this way? are the authors trying to make a point about how women should behave?? or to criticise society? or...? and why???

I think for Stella Williams could be seen as purposefully presenting her as a stereotype of what women should be in order to undermine that stereotype and show how foolish it is... Williams is a kind of proto-feminist in a way, way more than Fitzgerald is imo, definitely not an actual feminist lol but and I think he does actually have sympathy for his female characters
Reply 43
hi im bev, im currently studying english lit, socio and spanish. so far i really like the play ‘a streetcar named desire’ which is my strongest but poetry is definitely my weakest. for frankenstein i would say 50/50. does anyone have tips for poetry, do u think it’s best to memorise quotations as i feel even though it’s open book, i feel more comfortable with revising it as if it were a closed-book (like at gcse), + is it okay if i memorise my analysis to the quotations or is that too much? i’m not sure how to go about it bc i have written really good points, it’s just not stayed in my head
Original post by bevbaiden
hi im bev, im currently studying english lit, socio and spanish. so far i really like the play ‘a streetcar named desire’ which is my strongest but poetry is definitely my weakest. for frankenstein i would say 50/50. does anyone have tips for poetry, do u think it’s best to memorise quotations as i feel even though it’s open book, i feel more comfortable with revising it as if it were a closed-book (like at gcse), + is it okay if i memorise my analysis to the quotations or is that too much? i’m not sure how to go about it bc i have written really good points, it’s just not stayed in my head

Yeah, I remember some of the key analysis from the poems, but usually just the context ones. I feel like the analysis of language can be made up on the spot if you don’t remember it. I focus more on themes and ideas for mine.
Reply 45
Original post by elliexmae.x
hey !! i'm a bit late but i'm currently in year 13 doing ocr lit too (also applying for english at uni lol) - i also study bloody chamber, hamlet and streetcar if you need any help/advice on those :smile: !!

are you doing gothic? I'm really struggling with that as I wasn't really taught it since we had a terrible teacher in year 12 and I'm currently on a B/C so I'd appreciate any tips
so sorry i missed this before !! i am doing gothic, are you struggling with unseen or the set texts?
Ik I'm pretty late the group but here I am lol.
Exam Board: Edexcel
What I enjoy most: Probably the reading aspect of it
Area I struggle with: I tend to beat around the bush most of the time when I write which ends up with my paragraphs being 60% waffle 40% point
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the A-level English Literature Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

hii, i'm doing the OCR board and the texts i'm studying are: Hamlet, Rossetti's A Goblin Market and Other Poems collection, Ibsen's A Doll's House, and then The Gothic (the two texts we studied in class being Dracula and Frankenstein) and for coursework i did Carol Ann Duffy's Feminine Gospels, and then a comparative between Wide Sargasso Sea and A Streetcar Named Desire
i really enjoy studying Hamlet, especially having discussions about different themes and interpretations, as well as the research for coursework (although now it is starting to get a bit painful)
i'm struggling most with memorising quotations and critics, as well as my timing in exams (although that is getting better over time)
Original post by ghostpostsstuff
hii, i'm doing the OCR board and the texts i'm studying are: Hamlet, Rossetti's A Goblin Market and Other Poems collection, Ibsen's A Doll's House, and then The Gothic (the two texts we studied in class being Dracula and Frankenstein) and for coursework i did Carol Ann Duffy's Feminine Gospels, and then a comparative between Wide Sargasso Sea and A Streetcar Named Desire
i really enjoy studying Hamlet, especially having discussions about different themes and interpretations, as well as the research for coursework (although now it is starting to get a bit painful)
i'm struggling most with memorising quotations and critics, as well as my timing in exams (although that is getting better over time)

ay fellow Hamlet, Rossetti, and Streetcar student! Hamlet is probably also my favourite, tied with Streetcar
Hi! I am with OCR , studying Twelfth Night - Shakespeare, 1984-Orwell, the children of men ( James) and The merchants tale ( Chaucer) and she Stoops to conquer ( goldsmith) . I am an straight A student for English literature and with my 14th century English I sometimes get higher, what I mostly struggle on is context for Unseen dystopia does anyone who does unseen dystopia have any advice on how to learn the historical contexts for someone who is not that historically educated ?
Original post by waffelton
ay fellow Hamlet, Rossetti, and Streetcar student! Hamlet is probably also my favourite, tied with Streetcar

yesss - i got to see a performance of Streetcar, which was what ended up making me like it loads
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the A-level English Literature Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

hiii!!

i do edexcel :smile: othello & streetcar, wuthering heights & 1000 splendid suns, romantics :smile: i did dracula & carmilla for my coursework!!
Original post by aaaaaaaaaa2006
hiii!!

i do edexcel :smile: othello & streetcar, wuthering heights & 1000 splendid suns, romantics :smile: i did dracula & carmilla for my coursework!!

ooo someone else who does wh, how do you find it?
Original post by rowan_willow
ooo someone else who does wh, how do you find it?

i love wh so much ngl i love it when people are completely crazy
Reply 54
Original post by martha318

hii!!
i don't do any of the same texts as you but wanted to ask how you structure your essays. rn for Shakespeare, for instance, im rlly struggling with the second question and don't know ow i can get more ao1+2 points in the first. could you please advice me on this, thank you in advance!!
Reply 55
Original post by Graciemosley05
Hi! I am with OCR , studying Twelfth Night - Shakespeare, 1984-Orwell, the children of men ( James) and The merchants tale ( Chaucer) and she Stoops to conquer ( goldsmith) . I am an straight A student for English literature and with my 14th century English I sometimes get higher, what I mostly struggle on is context for Unseen dystopia does anyone who does unseen dystopia have any advice on how to learn the historical contexts for someone who is not that historically educated ?

hii, ik this doesn't answer your question but i wanted some advice from you if that's okay. currently, i am rlly struggling with exam questions and wanted to ask for your advice on structuring them - specifically Shakespeare. how do you develop your ao1 and 2 for the first one and just talk about critic (since ao5 is 50%) for the second one.

tysm in advance!!
Original post by aisima

hii, ik this doesn't answer your question but i wanted some advice from you if that's okay. currently, i am rlly struggling with exam questions and wanted to ask for your advice on structuring them - specifically Shakespeare. how do you develop your ao1 and 2 for the first one and just talk about critic (since ao5 is 50%) for the second one.

tysm in advance!!

Honestly I couldn’t give you a straight answer I’m such a waffler in essays that it depends on the Acts given for the CTA , however I find that with structure what always helps is doing practice questions at home and then after doing them highlight the AO1 , A02 , A05 etc in your writing and figure out what your doing less of and work on that. I tend to accidentally do too much A01 or too much analysis so I’m currently like you when coming to Shakespeare but if you ever need any like new interpretations or that just drop me a message on here :smile:
Original post by aaaaaaaaaa2006
i love wh so much ngl i love it when people are completely crazy

it is an insane book lol. I do aqa and have to compare it to my poetry anthology which feels a bit odd, do you have to compare it to another novel or just get to talk about it?
Hi guys,

I did my a levels in English Lit and am doing my degree in it rn. Did AQA. If anyone needs any help with anything or wants an insight into anything. Feel free to drop me a message, happy to help :smile:
Original post by rowan_willow
it is an insane book lol. I do aqa and have to compare it to my poetry anthology which feels a bit odd, do you have to compare it to another novel or just get to talk about it?

i compare it to a thousand splendid suns! which is a good book if not completely and utterly depressing the entire time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending