The Student Room Group

A-level English Literature Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the A-level English Literature Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

hi guys! my exam board is eduqas and i study:

Drama - Antony and Cleopatra (shakespeare) + Dr Faustus and Enron
Poetry - Milton’s Paradise Lost book 9 + Larkin’s the whistun weddings and Duffy’s mean time
unseen paper
for my coursework i wrote an essay on frankenstein and never let me go!
Original post by marz11
hi guys! my exam board is eduqas and i study:

Drama - Antony and Cleopatra (shakespeare) + Dr Faustus and Enron
Poetry - Milton’s Paradise Lost book 9 + Larkin’s the whistun weddings and Duffy’s mean time
unseen paper
for my coursework i wrote an essay on frankenstein and never let me go!

ayy fellow Eduqas student!! Frankenstein and Never Let Me Go sounds like such a cool comparison 🙂
Reply 62
Original post by waffelton
ayy fellow Eduqas student!! Frankenstein and Never Let Me Go sounds like such a cool comparison 🙂

i feel like our board is underrated!! thanks! mine was on the presentation of creation having catastrophic consequences in the texts :smile:

which texts are you studying 🙂
Reply 63
Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the A-level English Literature Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Hi everyone,

So many months late but better late than never.
Exam board: Edexcel
What I like most about the course: the diversity of what we read. I find it interesting how different writers are lol.
What area do I struggle with the most: I'd say identifying literary devices is my biggest weakness.
Anyways, I'm in year 13 rn and I do Hamlet, Dr. Faustus for drama, Heart of Darkness and Home Fire for Prose and poems of the decade and romantics for poetry. Idk why I found out about TSR so late, but it'd be great if I find people who relate to me.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by eenie_49
Exam Board: Edexcel
Texts: The Picture of Dorian Gray, Dracula, Poems of the Decade, Doctor Faustus, Larkin's Less Devieved Collection and for my NEA, The Great Gatsby and A Streetcar Named Desire!
What i enjoy: it a great contrast to the other maths-based subjects i take!
struggling: essays!

Heyy, I'm on the same boat as you for Dr. Faustus, poems of the decade and The Great Gatsby. It's nice to find someone doing the same thing.
Original post by marz11
i feel like our board is underrated!! thanks! mine was on the presentation of creation having catastrophic consequences in the texts :smile:

which texts are you studying 🙂

Yeah hardly anyone does Eduqas since it’s Welsh 💀 at least we get one less paper though
I do Rossetti, Whitsun Weddings, and Mean Time for poetry and Hamlet, A Streetcar Named Desire, and The Duchess of Malfi for drama. For my NEA I did Heart of Darkness and The Kite Runner! 🙂
Reply 66
Yeah hardly anyone does Eduqas since it’s Welsh 💀 at least we get one less paper though
I do Rossetti, Whitsun Weddings, and Mean Time for poetry and Hamlet, A Streetcar Named Desire, and The Duchess of Malfi for drama. For my NEA I did Heart of Darkness and The Kite Runner! 🙂

ooh interesting! is nea the coursework? because my teacher didn’t call it that lol

how are you finding streetcar named desire? i’ve heard it’s very good and i’m thinking of reading it :smile:

also how are u finding larkin and duffy 😂 i have so many jokes with my teacher about larkin being the most loneliestt. guy ever because he’s always complaining about everything loll

what’s the paper we don’t have to do?
Reply 67
Original post by Helloitsjess

Hi! My name is Jess, i am in year 13 and am studying English lit (eduquas I believe), maths and computing (btec). I am studying a thousand splendid suns, Wuthering heights, streetcar named desire, king lear, modern and victorian poetry and finally Jane eyre with a text of my choice for coursework I have decided to go for the seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo, an unconventional but really interesting text and am excited to compare them. I struggle with writing in exams, I can come up with such good points (over a few days haha) but in the exam struggle to find the right quotes and such. I hope the exam questions will be nice this summer :smile:

Do you have any tips for Wuthering Heights. I'm in year 12 and so confused
Reply 68
Hi everyone!
My exam board is Eduqas meaning we do Duffy Larkin, Chaucer, King Lear, A Streetcar named Desire and The Duchess of Malfi!
Does anyone have any tips on how to memorise quotes? we have to memorise quotes for Lear, Streetcar and DOM and i can never remember them in exams :frown:
I’m also really bad at writing essays, I tend to overcomplicate everything and panic so it can be very jumbled so any help on essay writing would also be appreciated!
Original post by bookdemia
Hi everyone!
My exam board is Eduqas meaning we do Duffy Larkin, Chaucer, King Lear, A Streetcar named Desire and The Duchess of Malfi!
Does anyone have any tips on how to memorise quotes? we have to memorise quotes for Lear, Streetcar and DOM and i can never remember them in exams :frown:
I’m also really bad at writing essays, I tend to overcomplicate everything and panic so it can be very jumbled so any help on essay writing would also be appreciated!

they make you memorise quotes??? evil!! i have to do it for classics & i just reread the texts themselves and also flashcards for important quotes
Reply 70
Original post by aaaaaaaaaa2006
they make you memorise quotes??? evil!! i have to do it for classics & i just reread the texts themselves and also flashcards for important quotes

don’t you do english too? i haven’t been on tsr in a few days i don’t remember lol😭 but i do the same board as @bookdemia and for Larkin/duffy + chaucer (i do milton) you get the texts in that exam - the poetry exam

but for our drama paper (shakespeare and streetcar + DOM) you don’t get the texts 😭

also i thought you don’t need quotes for classics? you just need to know the plot/important moments in the texts and you can write those right? my teachers said don’t stop that from u learning quotes but remember that it’s not a big stress if u don’t know many
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by marz11
don’t you do english too? i haven’t been on tsr in a few days i don’t remember lol😭 but i do the same board as @bookdemia and for Larkin/duffy + chaucer (i do milton) you get the texts in that exam - the poetry exam

but for our drama paper (shakespeare and streetcar + DOM) you don’t get the texts 😭

also i thought you don’t need quotes for classics? you just need to know the plot/important moments in the texts and you can write those right? my teachers said don’t stop that from u learning quotes but remember that it’s not a big stress if u don’t know many

i do do english! we just get the texts in the edexcel exams lmaoooo

also yeah i just like to overprepare
Reply 72
Original post by marz11

yes ahaha hi! and for classics you’re right we dont need them.
i learn so many for english my mind can’t take anymore, but im quite confident i know the plots very well 😭
Original post by marz11
ooh interesting! is nea the coursework? because my teacher didn’t call it that lol

how are you finding streetcar named desire? i’ve heard it’s very good and i’m thinking of reading it :smile:

also how are u finding larkin and duffy 😂 i have so many jokes with my teacher about larkin being the most loneliestt. guy ever because he’s always complaining about everything loll

what’s the paper we don’t have to do?

Yeah! NEA is the coursework 🙂
Streetcar is really good! I love how Williams characterises everyone and the dialogue in general is really good.
I hate Larkin so much. I don’t understand how he could have all these affairs whilst being so unlikeable lol.
We don’t do a prose paper
Reply 74

Hi, my board is also Eduqas:
poetry- Blake, Slyvia Plath and Ted Hughs
drama- Lady Windermere's Fan and Betrayal, The Tempest
Original post by elliegovv
Hi, my board is also Eduqas:
poetry- Blake, Slyvia Plath and Ted Hughs
drama- Lady Windermere's Fan and Betrayal, The Tempest

wow cool texts!
Reply 76
Yeah! NEA is the coursework 🙂
Streetcar is really good! I love how Williams characterises everyone and the dialogue in general is really good.
I hate Larkin so much. I don’t understand how he could have all these affairs whilst being so unlikeable lol.
We don’t do a prose paper

what affairs? it's concerning i don't know this loll and yeah larkin ****es me off and im thinking of reading streetcar!
Original post by marz11
what affairs? it's concerning i don't know this loll and yeah larkin ****es me off and im thinking of reading streetcar!

He had loads of relationships at the same time. Talking in Bed is probably about Maeve Brennan (who Broadcast is also probably about) and Monica Jones, who he both dated at the same time (with some other women as well.)
Reply 78
hey people, i currently do eduquas english lit and im really struggling with my comparison of duchess of malfia and a streetcar names desire. like for poetry comparsion, plath and hughes and even do essay questions on think i think are harder like hamlet and paradise lost book 9 i can do alright but we recently had an exam and i just super freaked out.

usually my big problem is quotes but i knew enough quotes but i think i was so stressed i used stupid quotes when i knew more relevant ones. ironically im usually great with context but i really fumbled it so i was wondering if anyone had any tips?
Reply 79
Original post by aizzicle
hey people, i currently do eduquas english lit and im really struggling with my comparison of duchess of malfia and a streetcar names desire. like for poetry comparsion, plath and hughes and even do essay questions on think i think are harder like hamlet and paradise lost book 9 i can do alright but we recently had an exam and i just super freaked out.

usually my big problem is quotes but i knew enough quotes but i think i was so stressed i used stupid quotes when i knew more relevant ones. ironically im usually great with context but i really fumbled it so i was wondering if anyone had any tips?

hi I do eduquas too and ngl don't have many tips but I feel the same so you aren't alone, rn I am struggling with unseen prose as my teacher told me I need to write more but sometimes it is difficult to talk alot with waffling or sounding unsophisticated

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending