The Student Room Group

A-level English Literature Study Group 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pwca
:hello: Welcome to the A-level English Literature Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

hi everyone! hope everyone's a-levels are going well. I'm doing OCR EngLit, anyone doing the same board?
Original post by staticsocks
hi! im gia, and i'm in year 12!:colonhash:
What exam board are you with? i'm doing ocr english lit, and we're looking at a doll's house, dracula, the bloody chamber, hamlet, and i think streetcar and rebecca!
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course? i absolutely adore the gothic and looking at deeper meanings and societal subtexts behind pieces of literature!! also the realism behind characters
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course? using terminology and integrating them into my essays and analysing structure is definitely something i need to work on- any tips would be appreciated! i can go on for days about context and symbolism but sometimes my A02 falls a bit short :thumbsdown:

Spoiler

hi gia! I'm glad you're also doing OCR - haven't seen many here 😆 how are you finding your texts? I'm doing 'An Ideal Husband' instead of 'A Doll's House', but apart from that mine are the same - I love the gothic part the most!
Original post by brightdragon
Original post by Pwca

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

hi everyone! hope everyone's a-levels are going well. I'm doing OCR EngLit, anyone doing the same board?

yes!! ocr is such a harsh exam board Imaoooo
Yeah it’s going to be the death of me 😫 but at least the texts are good!
just wanted to check with anyone doing edexcel english (9ETO) - do the grade boundaries make any sense to you?! the total marks for the a level seem to be 220 (60 each for drama, poetry and coursework, and 40 for prose) but on edexcel's official grade boundaries they've put it as 300 - I can't figure out what that extra 80 marks would be! would be really grateful if anyone has any ideas :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by magicrealist
just wanted to check with anyone doing edexcel english (9ETO) - do the grade boundaries make any sense to you?! the total marks for the a level seem to be 220 (60 each for drama, poetry and coursework, and 40 for prose) but on edexcel's official grade boundaries they've put it as 300 - I can't figure out what that extra 80 marks would be! would be really grateful if anyone has any ideas :smile:

im guessing the other marks are for unseen poetry and unseen prose
Reply 86
is anyone planning to study english lit at uni?
im doing an inspector calls

do i need to remember quotes for the poetry part
Reply 88
Original post by elliegovv

i am!! are you?
Reply 89
Original post by brightdragon

i'm doing ocr too, what texts have you got?
i'm studying hamlet, a doll's house, merchant's prologue and tale, dystopia - handmaid's tale and 1984 - and then also the 2 coursework essays (however i haven't started them yet)
Original post by elliegovv

I am !! What about you?
Reply 91
Original post by amooni
i am!! are you?

yesss!!
Reply 92
Original post by lucym03...
I am !! What about you?

yes!!
Reply 93
Original post by magicrealist

its the scaled grades!! 220 is the total raw mark you can get, but they scale the marks for drama poetry and prose up by 1.5 times in order to achieve the subject mark

the full breakdown is here: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/English%20Language/2015/forms-and-administration/a-as-guidance-scaling.pdf
Original post by cinmnsoul
its the scaled grades!! 220 is the total raw mark you can get, but they scale the marks for drama poetry and prose up by 1.5 times in order to achieve the subject mark

the full breakdown is here: https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/English%20Language/2015/forms-and-administration/a-as-guidance-scaling.pdf

Ahh that makes a lot more sense, thanks so much!
Reply 95
anyone doing any one of streetcar, king lear, hard times, atonement, romantic poetry

and also anyone doing edexcel? as i’m trying to master exam technique
Original post by 2004123a
anyone doing any one of streetcar, king lear, hard times, atonement, romantic poetry

and also anyone doing edexcel? as i’m trying to master exam technique

I'm just moving your post to the A-level English Literature Study Group where you should find more people who are studying the same texts :smile: We also have a smaller group specifically for people studying Streetcar, which you can find here
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Pwca

Heyyy!! I’m with the Edexel exam board, the thing i enjoy most is just understanding the deeper meanings of literature as well as the contextual factors and history of the author etc ..
The area that I struggle with most is memorising and understanding older literature like Shakespeare as his terminology don’t make no sense to me
Anyways nice to meet you guys hope we can all help and support eachother to reach them A*s in our exam
Original post by Jsjskscjosjejs
Heyyy!! I’m with the Edexel exam board, the thing i enjoy most is just understanding the deeper meanings of literature as well as the contextual factors and history of the author etc ..
The area that I struggle with most is memorising and understanding older literature like Shakespeare as his terminology don’t make no sense to me
Anyways nice to meet you guys hope we can all help and support eachother to reach them A*s in our exam

For Shakespeare, it really helps to watch performances since you get the implied meaning much better. I’ve found it helps with memorisation as well 🙂
Original post by waffelton
Original post by Jsjskscjosjejs

For Shakespeare, it really helps to watch performances since you get the implied meaning much better. I’ve found it helps with memorisation as well 🙂

Thankyou so much for that tip💗appreciate it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending